Cereal Mashing - BIAB - Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJnCincy

The Lusk Farm & Brewhouse
Reaction score
I'm adding some milled cracked corn as part of my grain bill. I know I need to do a cereal mash. I've seen options that basically treat the cereal mash as a decoction, adding it back to the main mash. However, I'd like to keep everything going on contained to my BIAB setup (ClawhammerSupply 10g 120v BIAB system). For those experienced with cereal mashing in a BIAB setup, will the below mash program work?

Mash in - Cereal only, 140 F (corn + 10% 6 row barley)
Heat to 158 F and hold 5 minutes, heat to boil 30 min, cool with plate chiller to 144 F.

then continue as normal process:
Beta amylase rest - Add remaining grain bill, hold at 144 F for 45 min
Alpha amylase rest - Heat to 160 F, hold for 45 min
Mash out

Does anyone see any issues with this process?

I think it could work. I would not use the full volume of water need for the cereal mash, instead no more than 50%0. Use the remain strike water to cool down to mash temps. It may need some some make up heat. Then add the rest of your grist. Zymurgy published a modified decoction in the May/June 2019 edition, page 45 doing similar thing but for the purpose of decoction. The article had the details (one more reason to be an AHA member ;)).

Capture.PNG

I would just simply cook the corn in a pot on your kitchen stove, then add it to your mash in the bag.

I read a while back that cereal mashing was devised to allow commercial breweries to avoid and handle / pump a sticky mash....
Not a problem for home brewers.

Gelatinize (cook) adjuncts and add to the mash. Stir and relax...
KISS :)

I am not familiar with cereal mashing although mom made some sort of gruel with one, but of the two options given, this seems like a good idea. Sometimes less is more and more is less. In this case the extra pot will be well worth it.
I would just simply cook the corn in a pot on your kitchen stove, then add it to your mash in the bag.

I read a while back that cereal mashing was devised to allow commercial breweries to avoid and handle / pump a sticky mash....
Not a problem for home brewers.

Gelatinize (cook) adjuncts and add to the mash. Stir and relax...
KISS :)

How exactly will you be cooling your cereal mash with a plate chiller? I just use flaked corn, it is cheap and ready to be added straight into the mash.

I'm using cracked corn because I have it available already....dial up the banjo music....I live on a farm and use it to supplement my chicken scratch :)

The system I use allows me to recirculate the mash through a plate chiller.

I am not familiar with cereal mashing although mom made some sort of gruel with one, but of the two options given, this seems like a good idea. Sometimes less is more and more is less. In this case the extra pot will be well worth it.

I could definitely go this route...I was just trying to find a way to utilize one vessel for both the cereal mash and the normal step mash.

I think it could work. I would not use the full volume of water need for the cereal mash, instead no more than 50%0. Use the remain strike water to cool down to mash temps. It may need some some make up heat. Then add the rest of your grist. Zymurgy published a modified decoction in the May/June 2019 edition, page 45 doing similar thing but for the purpose of decoction. The article had the details (one more reason to be an AHA member ;)).

View attachment 672406

Thanks for the helpful info. I'll definitely try this as a solution....and I am an AHA member (I suppose my Google-Fu isn't strong as this never came up in my search results)

Thanks for the helpful info. I'll definitely try this as a solution....and I am an AHA member (I suppose my Google-Fu isn't strong as this never came up in my search results)

I looked at my brewlog. I did this with my Oktoberfest last August and with ground temp water it hit the mash temp within 2F. It only made the brewday a little bit longer (maybe 1.5 hrs).

I wasn't trying to call you out, just doing what I can to promote and encourage AHA membership. The articles in Zymurgy articles won't show up in google both because of the membership paywall and the format.

Back