cereal "mash" in the oven?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirHC_

Reaction score
I've done cereal mash on the stovetop twice with cornmeal.
Yes, I could have used flaked maize or even generic cornflakes, I suppose, but it was an interesting learning exercise.

Now, I'm wondering if a simple water/cornmeal/barley mix will gelatize appropriately in the oven, temp/how long, etc.

I'm considering it for a 10g batch of the Rye KY Common on this site. It'd be 4.5 lbs of flaked maize or an equal amount of cereal mash.
It was brought to mind because somewhere along the way I read about early american colonies, baking cornbread to make beer from.

Anyone play with this idea?

Bump.
Noone? I've also been reading up on Larsblog about oven mashing for traditional russian farmhouse ales. I know it's done, but have never seen it here on the forum or discussed anywhere stateside...
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/

I thought about it. Once.
My old stove's oven was unreliable and too small for a 20qt. steel pot. I say unreliable because the stove's Programmable Circuit Board malfunctioned and wouldn't hold a dependable 10F temperature range for mashing. We bought a new stove and the NG burners are nice and clean, putting out flame twice the size of the old burners.

Latest posts

Back