cereal "mash" in the oven?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

SirHC_

Reaction score
I've done cereal mash on the stovetop twice with cornmeal.
Yes, I could have used flaked maize or even generic cornflakes, I suppose, but it was an interesting learning exercise.

Now, I'm wondering if a simple water/cornmeal/barley mix will gelatize appropriately in the oven, temp/how long, etc.

I'm considering it for a 10g batch of the Rye KY Common on this site. It'd be 4.5 lbs of flaked maize or an equal amount of cereal mash.
It was brought to mind because somewhere along the way I read about early american colonies, baking cornbread to make beer from.

Anyone play with this idea?

OP
SirHC_

SirHC_

Reaction score
Bump.
Noone? I've also been reading up on Larsblog about oven mashing for traditional russian farmhouse ales. I know it's done, but have never seen it here on the forum or discussed anywhere stateside...
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/

Lefou

Danged rascally furt
Reaction score
I thought about it. Once.
My old stove's oven was unreliable and too small for a 20qt. steel pot. I say unreliable because the stove's Programmable Circuit Board malfunctioned and wouldn't hold a dependable 10F temperature range for mashing. We bought a new stove and the NG burners are nice and clean, putting out flame twice the size of the old burners.