Centennial vs Columbus as bittering hop in IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-adjunct-hippie

aspiring brewgenius
Reaction score
I like to brew NE IPA's and I was curious which one of these hops would lend the cleanest, smoothest, unobtrusive bittering. I usually use Warrior but I'm out of them right now, so I guess I'm also asking what's similar to Warrior.

I like to hop burst at the end and use loads of dry hops.
I guess it's possible to skip the bittering addition altogether.
Thanks!

Both are pretty high in co-humulone but I presume that Columbus would give even more distinctive bitterness. I usually opt for the higher alpha variety if not sure. It saves hops for later addiotions.

I don’t really like using Warrior anymore, it’s too abrasive and sharp on the palate for me. Columbus is a great choice here, and I’ve seen some cultivars as high as 15% AAU. I’m sure Centennial will work as a bittering addition; I usually save it for whirlpool and dry hop additions, but YMMV. Magnum, Galena, Nugget, Northern Brewer and Summit are good substitutions too.

I use Centennial in my house IPA and Columbus/CTZ in my NEIPAs. Honestly, I don't think it really matters much for the 60 min bittering charge so I think you are good with either

I would just skip the bittering addition in a NEIPA. A good dose of hops at 5 minutes left, plus whirlpool will get you plenty of bitterness for the style, which you dont need much of anyway.

Back