Centennial Smash or?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateG

Reaction score
I had a friend of mine give me a few bags of hops to play with, he gave me some Liberty, Centennial and some Crystal. I was thinking about doing a Smash. I know the Liberty and Crystal are mainly aroma hops. I am also going to do an Amber Ale which I normally use Cascades on but since I have the Centennial I might use them instead for that. So I guess I am wondering if doing a smash with the other two would be worth while or if I should use the left over Centennial from the Amber for bittering and the others for aroma?

Smash is considered 1 grain 1 hop type only. So if you want to make a hopped pale ale, vs a smash, sure use the cent for bittering and the rest for aroma.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was leaning towards in the end, getting away from the smash all together.

I was messing around and I think I might do some thing like:
8 lbs 2-row pale
2 lbs caramel 40
Mash at 155ish for 60

1 oz centennial at 60 min.
1 oz liberty at 15 min.
1 oz liberty at 5 min.

Safale US-05

This gives me an OG of 1.055, IBU of 42 and a color of 11% using beer calculus.

Oh also as a disclaimer these hops have been in the freezer for quite a while which I know will effect things a bit as well.

I did a Marris Otter SMASH with Liberty, Mt. Hood and Centennial last year. Targeted a 1.055 SG, ~30 IBUs with roughly 1/3 additions at 60, 15 and 5 min. The Centennial had a nice orange citrus flavor and aroma with a slight bitterness (a little bite). My favorite of the 3. Mt. Hood gave an earthy flavor and aroma with smooth bitterness (no bite). Liberty was essentially non-existent in terms of flavor or aroma. I would probably go with getting away from the smash; at least with the liberty

Off the top of my head that seems like a lot of C40 with 8 lbs of base malt on a 5 gallon batch. I think I normally use half to one pound for 5 gallons.

I've used only centennial several times and love it. It's on my short list of IPA hops.

Changed up the recipe a bit after visiting the LHBS

8 lbs 2 row
1 lbs crystal 20
1 lbs munich

Same hop schedule.

That looks better, I like a little munih or vienna for the Malt charactr, good choice. Centennial is about my favorite hop. If the hops are old they have lost some alpha acid so the bittering will not be as strong, might use a little more to compensate. I made an all Cent amber that was fantastic, good choice.

Lol, Ramitt, I just finished making an all Centennial amber ale :) The Pale ale is in the mash tun right now, the beginning temp was about 156. I also saved some spent grains from the amber ale and I have a loaf of bread in the bread machine.

The amber ale recipe is:
7 lbs 2 row
1 lb Munich
1 lb crystal 60
1/2 lb biscuit
1/2 lb Vienna

1 oz centennial at 60
1/2 oz centennial at 15
1/2 oz centennial at 5

Latest posts

Back