Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was one of the first recipes I came across and I have been hanging out to brew it since. Planning to have a go next month.

How long does this keep before it's past it's prime?

So what are the chances I can have this kegged by the 25th? I'm going on a month long trip on the 26th and would like to have something carbed up when I get back

So what are the chances I can have this kegged by the 25th? I'm going on a month long trip on the 26th and would like to have something carbed up when I get back

I fermented mine for 9 days, kegged from primary with gelatin at fermentation temp, put in keezer and carbed at 30 psi for 36 hours while it chilled to 40 degrees. I tasted on day 11 and it was delicious.

11 days grain to glass.

I fermented mine for 9 days, kegged from primary with gelatin at fermentation temp, put in keezer and carbed at 30 psi for 36 hours while it chilled to 40 degrees. I tasted on day 11 and it was delicious.
11 days grain to glass.

95%. I had mine kegged and and serving on day 10. This has to be one of the fastest-turnaround, most-foolproof recipes there is.

As others have said brew tonight or tomorrow and you will be fine to keg the 25th. I served a glass on day 11 with a 48 hour cold crash and 36 hour force carb.

I took a keg of this to a party last night and it was a hit! Finished off 5 gals in about an hour.

First time trying the recipe, brewed as outlined in the original post. Looking forward to brewing this again and doing some additions....maybe some basil and/or jalapenos from the garden.

First go around of this beer was a hit. Brewing up batch two as I type. I like to bump it up a little to the 5.5% 50ibu range so its prob more a pale than a traditional blonde, using some centennial and citra this go around.

First go around of this beer was a hit. Brewing up batch two as I type. I like to bump it up a little to the 5.5% 50ibu range so its prob more a pale than a traditional blonde, using some centennial and citra this go around.

Where and how much citra?

I've got munich, but no vienna. Do you think I could split the Vienna requirement with half 2-row and half Munich?

-Scott

I've got munich, but no vienna. Do you think I could split the Vienna requirement with half 2-row and half Munich?

-Scott

Yes. Or split it 3/4 Munich, 1/4 2-row. A little extra Munich maltiness won't hurt this beer at all. Could sub Munich for Vienna 1 to 1, but you might lose any hop character you may have. Might bump up the hops a touch.

I enjoyed the few cups of this I got at my office party so much I've decided to brew it again tomorrow. Need something nice and refreshing in a keg for when the kolsch kicks it.

I brewed a batch of this 10 months ago. Had one bottle left.
In all honesty, I really didn't care for it. Prob more of my fault than the recipe as it was one of my first brews. After 9 months in the fridge at 38-40 degrees, cracked it open today for my wife and it was crystal clear. It was so good compared to the early bottles.
Might have to brew this up again.

I brewed a batch of this 10 months ago. Had one bottle left.
In all honesty, I really didn't care for it. Prob more of my fault than the recipe as it was one of my first brews. After 9 months in the fridge at 38-40 degrees, cracked it open today for my wife and it was crystal clear. It was so good compared to the early bottles.
Might have to brew this up again.

This beer really gets to its best after a few months. I wish I had known sooner but Learning is what its about. Last two batches I aged in the keg for a minimum of 4 weeks before tapping.

Dont get me wrong I really enjoyed the first batch after two weeks bottled but longer is definitely better.

Brewed it on 07/23. Hit the OG exactly and everything went really well. Yesterday I kegged it, took a sample and there is kind of a harsh hop taste when you first try it. The following sips I did not feel it as much, but the first one was a lot harsher than what I expected.

I will serve it on 08/13 in a party. Hope it mellows a little bit.

Brewed it on 07/23. Hit the OG exactly and everything went really well. Yesterday I kegged it, took a sample and there is kind of a harsh hop taste when you first try it. The following sips I did not feel it as much, but the first one was a lot harsher than what I expected.

I will serve it on 08/13 in a party. Hope it mellows a little bit.

It will, but if it doesn't do so fast enough for you, you can fine it with gelatin to drop out particulates, and if that fails, you can experiment with increasing the ratio of chloride to sulfate (by adding calcium chloride, first to your glass, then to the keg in 1gram increments. more reading: http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/02/11/the-sulfate-to-chloride-ratio-and-beer-bitterness/ )

I do biab and just brewed this. I raised the grain bill and hops a tad to compensate for effenciency. After 3 days fermenting I did an og reading and it's where it should be and was already clearing out. So I decided to dry hop. Could I bottle in about 7 days? That was a quick turn around. Crazy!

I do biab and just brewed this. I raised the grain bill and hops a tad to compensate for effenciency. After 3 days fermenting I did an og reading and it's where it should be and was already clearing out. So I decided to dry hop. Could I bottle in about 7 days? That was a quick turn around. Crazy!

Woop woop just brewed a 5 gallon batch on A Sunny winter Sunday arvo.

This is about 1% abv lower than anything I have brewed before so I smashed 85% efficency with all that sparge water and hit target gravity with an extra 3 litres in the fermenter.

I didn't have nottingham or Pale ale malt on hand so I subbed for s05 and English Ale malt. Should come out more malty/biscuity and less estery. Will report back on how that worked out.

Does everyone still ferment at 68f as per the recipe? I'd normally ferment a bit lower but happy to try something new.

Hey gang! I brewed this for the third time a couple of weeks back (the first two turned out great), but went on holiday for a week while it was fermenting and we had a heat wave, ended up fermenting WAY too high. Anyway, now the brew tastes a little like burned rubber and feet (not ideal). It's still drinkable, but not great. Was thinking about dry hopping it in the keg for a week to see if I can mask the off flavours a little. Any suggestions as to hops to use/amount of hops (5 gallon all grain)? I don't have a lot of experience with dry hopping. Cheers!!

Hey gang! I brewed this for the third time a couple of weeks back (the first two turned out great), but went on holiday for a week while it was fermenting and we had a heat wave, ended up fermenting WAY too high. Anyway, now the brew tastes a little like burned rubber and feet (not ideal). It's still drinkable, but not great. Was thinking about dry hopping it in the keg for a week to see if I can mask the off flavours a little. Any suggestions as to hops to use/amount of hops (5 gallon all grain)? I don't have a lot of experience with dry hopping. Cheers!!

I would dump and rebrew. Once I taste off flavors in my beer, there isnt anything that will mask it for me. Seeing that you could have this beer turned around and in the keg in just a couple weeks (and it's cheap) there is no reason not to just do over.

Best of luck.

Woop woop just brewed a 5 gallon batch on A Sunny winter Sunday arvo.

This is about 1% abv lower than anything I have brewed before so I smashed 85% efficency with all that sparge water and hit target gravity with an extra 3 litres in the fermenter.

I didn't have nottingham or Pale ale malt on hand so I subbed for s05 and English Ale malt. Should come out more malty/biscuity and less estery. Will report back on how that worked out.

Does everyone still ferment at 68f as per the recipe? I'd normally ferment a bit lower but happy to try something new.

There is nothing special about the temp, use whatever temp profile you would normally follow for the yeast you used.

I would dump and rebrew. Once I taste off flavors in my beer, there isnt anything that will mask it for me. Seeing that you could have this beer turned around and in the keg in just a couple weeks (and it's cheap) there is no reason not to just do over.

Best of luck.

I don't agree with this. I'd say many of my beers have some little process flaw that manifests itself early on as some weird flavour. If I dumped every batch that I had concerns about I wouldn't have anything to drink. So far all but one brew has got better and better with a bit of age, with the flaws working themselves out to be much less of an issue.

Personally I'd let the fermentation finish and bottle/keg it, leave it for a month then see what happens. "Happy accidents" happen all the time with brewing, I reckon this beer will be at least drinkable.

I don't agree with this. I'd say many of my beers have some little process flaw that manifests itself early on as some weird flavour. If I dumped every batch that I had concerns about I wouldn't have anything to drink. So far all but one brew has got better and better with a bit of age, with the flaws working themselves out to be much less of an issue.

Personally I'd let the fermentation finish and bottle/keg it, leave it for a month then see what happens. "Happy accidents" happen all the time with brewing, I reckon this beer will be at least drinkable.

I am sure I won't change your mind, but I stand by my statement. I dont brew to save money, and I sure as hell am not going to drink anything that tastes like burned rubber and feet, no matter who made it. If the objective is to cover up a huge flaw with a buttload of hops (or time), put me in the "no, but thank you" corner.

You could let it sit for 4 months taking up precious keg space and pray for a miracle.

Yeah, I'd dump it, unless you have way more kegs than me.

Just wanted to say I think this recipe is awesome. I brewed it following the directions exactly. I ended up needing the fermentor before there was room in my kegs so I racked this and let it sit for about 3-4 weeks before kegging.

It tastes excellent, very nice and clean, and at this price point I think I'm going to follow suit and make this my house beer as well. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Anyone used Amarillo instead of Centennial on this one? If not what do you think it would be like? I've got a little Amarillo left over I'm looking to use up.

I am sure I won't change your mind, but I stand by my statement. I dont brew to save money, and I sure as hell am not going to drink anything that tastes like burned rubber and feet, no matter who made it. If the objective is to cover up a huge flaw with a buttload of hops (or time), put me in the "no, but thank you" corner.

You could let it sit for 4 months taking up precious keg space and pray for a miracle.

Yeah, I'd dump it, unless you have way more kegs than me.

We don't need to agree on this, but rather give the OP 2 different perspectives to consider.

By dumping you lose $15-$20 of ingredients + gas plus 4-5 hours of time.

By saving you are adding to those losses either a round of bottle washing (in my case) or having a $100 keg tied up for 3 months (in yours). By doing this you are in for a chance that the beer will come out drinkable, or good.

It's simply a matter of weighing that up for your own situation. Personally I think there's a good chance this brew will come out at least ok and I'd be willing to risk a round of bottle washing that it does. I don't think I'd be adding hops though - if the beer is past the point of no return then more hops probably won't save it.

Thanks for the advise guys. I probably made the off-flavours out to be a little more intense than they are, there is a faint burned rubber aroma (a byproduct of high fermentation temperature I'm told), but it's pretty subtle... in a darker beer you probably wouldn't notice it. It's still drinkable the way it is, just not great. I think I'll add some aroma hops and let it sit for a couple of weeks, see what it ends up as. Thanks again!

As long as it doesn't give you a headache(fusel alcohol), have at it. It's still beer. Learned something for next time. Cheers.

Brewing her again this weekend. So far I've done a lemon version, a blueberry version, and an accidental "shandy" version which was a great summer beer. This round I will go with a "citrus" version to finish out the last month of summer. Will use the zest of 1 grapefruit, 1 lemon, 1 lime, and maybe 1 orange. And squeeze out the juice from each each. Add it all in to the 10 minute boil addition. Anyone who has not done this recipe with a moderate 10 minute citrus addition needs to enlighten themselves!

I just bottled this Sat. Glad to hear it ages out well. It was billed as a G2G beer @ 3 weeks. I brewed it with the expectation of introducing it at the end of the month at a party. But maybe I'll let it ride.

Back