Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kenmcchord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got this in primary now, bubbling away nicely. Bonus, I hit all my numbers almost dead on, really looking forward to trying this.

I'm going to add strawberries to this recipe, plan to rack onto 4 lbs of strawberries in the secondary and was looking for opinions on the best method for preventing bugs from getting into the brew. Was thinking I would soak the strawberries in vodka for a few days then dump the berries and the vodka in the secondary, then rack right on top. Never done anything like this before, thoughts?

efnm

Reaction score
Dumb question on the extract version - when/how is the Cara-pils added? Is it mashed or just put in for the boil?

This should get you a very similar beer:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU

1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %

efnm

Reaction score
Definitely put it in the mash. I don't think you want to boil it at all.
Ok, I figured so. What's the typical process for that, steep from flame on to 170 or something else? I'm slowly dipping my toes into partial grain brews and have seen a bunch of approaches.

Yaksha808

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The temp depends on a few things, but you want it around 150ish degrees. You should have it in a bag and act like it's tea, letting it steep in the water for no less than 30minutes

Barbarossa

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone help me identify the particular taste of this beer? It seems to be consistent with an extract blonde I did years ago, and it kinda taste like Coors light to me. What gives this beer that particular taste?

Brooothru

Reaction score
Can someone help me identify the particular taste of this beer? It seems to be consistent with an extract blonde I did years ago, and it kinda taste like Coors light to me. What gives this beer that particular taste?
Kind of hard to say, other than the very light body and the crispness. The O.P. recipe includes a very small amount of crystal 10L whereas the purported recipes for Coors/Coors Light don't, though both have small amounts of Munich and Vienna as well as floor malted Bohemian and maybe a pinch of CaraHell which might bring some sweetness. The O.P. recipe also does not have any rice or corn adjuncts which add to the crispness and graininess of Coors.

The possible culprit might be Nottingham fermented at a slightly warmer temperature which may produce esters that bring some sweet maltiness. The Coors yeast is Wyeast 2105-PC, which may no longer be available even as a seasonal release. 2105-PC is either the Andechs strain, or at least a derivative of Andechs, which is a great lager yeast but not readily available to home brewers. It is a strong, clean fermenter that drops super clear, which sounds like Nottingham if you ferment it at the lower end of its optimum temperature range.

So, if you're picking up a Coors Light-like taste it may be Nottingham at a slightly higher temperature bringing a slight sweetness with the 10L, but it's unclear where the corn graininess comes from unless it's from the O.P. recipe's grain bill. I'm a real fan of Continental lagers, especially Pils and Helles, and usually have an "anti-IPA" on tap to 'cleanse the palate' from the hoppy APA or IPA on the other tap. My Coors/Coors Light clone is frequently in the rotation along with the Continental lagers on the anti-IPA tap for my BMC drinking friends.

goodolarchie

Reaction score
I always found it funny that this is a "Centennial Blonde" when the last time those hops touch the wort is at the 35 min remaining on boil mark. I make this recipe every year, but tried once subbing the cascade for a larger, late Centennial addition and it wasn't as good. I know Two-Hearted is good but Bells is very selective of the hop lots for those. In the case of mine, it was more floral, piney, slightly herbal. No citrus and that's what makes this a great summer crusher. So cheers to the Cascade Blonde!

Brooothru

Reaction score
I always found it funny that this is a "Centennial Blonde" when the last time those hops touch the wort is at the 35 min remaining on boil mark. I make this recipe every year, but tried once subbing the cascade for a larger, late Centennial addition and it wasn't as good. I know Two-Hearted is good but Bells is very selective of the hop lots for those. In the case of mine, it was more floral, piney, slightly herbal. No citrus and that's what makes this a great summer crusher. So cheers to the Cascade Blonde!
I'm a big fan of Bell's 2H and also Centennial hops. I ordered 8 oz of Bell's Select hops from the country store, and they are very good hops, but I honestly can't tell the difference between them and YCH or other top suppliers. Last month I got some of the Imperial A62 Bell's House, also from the Country Store, but have yet to use it. Previous clones have used yeast cultured from dregs of 2H which all turned out great.

fragged

Reaction score
I've got this in primary now, bubbling away nicely. Bonus, I hit all my numbers almost dead on, really looking forward to trying this.

I'm going to add strawberries to this recipe, plan to rack onto 4 lbs of strawberries in the secondary and was looking for opinions on the best method for preventing bugs from getting into the brew. Was thinking I would soak the strawberries in vodka for a few days then dump the berries and the vodka in the secondary, then rack right on top. Never done anything like this before, thoughts?
I'm much too late and guessing you either skipped it or did it, but....

When I did this I used fresh strawberries for an added risk, because the fruit stand was closer to my house than the store. Anyway, I washed them under warm water well, cut the stems, halved them, then froze them. Thawed the day of the brew and pitched at high krausen. My thought was that if anything is still living on them, I want the yeast to win.

It was amazing. That was 2019.

I left the strawberries in there with the yeast cake after racking to keg, and put it under the steps to clean later - God I'm lazy. Your post reminded me of all this. Here they are today in all their glory, I honestly expected way worse.
20210415_182813.jpg
20210415_182803.jpg

kenmcchord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm much too late and guessing you either skipped it or did it, but....

When I did this I used fresh strawberries for an added risk, because the fruit stand was closer to my house than the store. Anyway, I washed them under warm water well, cut the stems, halved them, then froze them. Thawed the day of the brew and pitched at high krausen. My thought was that if anything is still living on them, I want the yeast to win.

It was amazing. That was 2019.

I left the strawberries in there with the yeast cake after racking to keg, and put it under the steps to clean later - God I'm lazy. Your post reminded me of all this. Here they are today in all their glory, I honestly expected way worse.
View attachment 725903View attachment 725902
Holy crap, that was under your steps for 2 years!?! Ha! Hope you gave it a sniff before you dumped it, you owed that to yourself.

I used frozen strawberries that I cooked at 150° for 30 minutes or so, immersion blender the whole mess then dumped that in the secondary. Racked beer on top and left it there for a few weeks (I was awaiting a transfer solution from Morebeer). In the glass now, my abv came in slightly low at 3.75. This beer is LIGHT, very refreshing and a nice little strawberry tartness to it. I detailed the strawberry part in this thread

9225E3E7-E69C-4C94-A906-1306A3E92A62_1_105_c.jpeg

fragged

Reaction score
Holy crap, that was under your steps for 2 years!?! Ha! Hope you gave it a sniff before you dumped it, you owed that to yourself.

I used frozen strawberries that I cooked at 150° for 30 minutes or so, immersion blender the whole mess then dumped that in the secondary. Racked beer on top and left it there for a few weeks (I was awaiting a transfer solution from Morebeer). In the glass now, my abv came in slightly low at 3.75. This beer is LIGHT, very refreshing and a nice little strawberry tartness to it. I detailed the strawberry part in this thread
Yep, 2 years - and of course I smelled it lol. 1st whiff "not at all bad", then I got brave and took a big pull into the nostrils.... Honestly it didn't smell near ad bad as I thought it would.

Yours looks like I could crush a growler of it on a boat in midsummer. Mine was strawberry tart too, yum.

Also, I just brewed the original up again for the first time in a couple years, forgot how amazing it is after just a couple weeks.