Cellarmix vs multimix gas difference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyp42

Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between multimix gas that is 70% nitro and 30% co2 and cellarmix gas which is 60% nitro and 40% co2?

I know stout is usually served on 70% nitro but the cellarmix uses a standard regulator so I dont need to change over the regulator stem to a type 50?

This is the cellarmix (Aussie gas supplier)

https://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au/g...ity--food---beverage-gas-mixtures/cellamix-40
This is the multimix

https://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au/g...tality--food---beverage-gas-mixtures/multimix

They also have a CellaMix 55 and a Cellamix 75, an argon mix for wine, and another 70/30 mix called Food Grade Fresh 30

I use a 70/30 mix on my stout faucet.

My best guess would be the other varieties could be used with a cask, keeping the co2 volume down and keeping the beer fresh, not letting air in to stale the beer. Cask beers usually are served with a lover carbonation level, I believe.

Many of those blends are used by commercial long-draw systems (ie: bars) and are selected for the pressure needed vs the style of beer and its desired carbonation level. By lowering the CO2 content the mixed gas pressure can be higher to move the beer at an appropriate dispensing rate without over-carbonating the product.

fwiw, I also run 70/30 on my stout faucet - at 35 psi...

Cheers!

Many of those blends are used by commercial long-draw systems (ie: bars) and are selected for the pressure needed vs the style of beer and its desired carbonation level. By lowering the CO2 content the mixed gas pressure can be higher to move the beer at an appropriate dispensing rate without over-carbonating the product.

fwiw, I also run 70/30 on my stout faucet - at 35 psi...

Cheers!
So you had to get a type 50 stem for your regulator to run the 70/30?

Are you paying rental on your bottle?

I wanted to go with 60/40 as the guy at BOC told me it uses a standard Co2 stem on the regulator. Then I wanted to use my soda stream adaptor to transfer the gas into a couple of soda stream bottles so I don't have to pay rental on it every month.

Will the 60/40 still give a good creamy head and the nitro type pour?

I bought a used steel CGA 580 valved mixed gas cylinder from the famous "Doug" on HBT many years ago (who has since retired from the used gas cylinder sales bidness). So, no rental fees, I just have to have it filled occasionally (roughly every 15 months), and I will be liable for the next hydro test ($25) if I don't get it swapped outright - probably will pay the fee as it's too pretty now to swap for a beater. (and stfu in advance, @Cape Brewing :D)

As for 60/40, I have zero experience beyond 70/30 on a short beer line at 35 psi through a battle axe Micromatic stout faucet (the thing is massive). I can only surmise the difference may not be that significant, but I could be wrong...

Cheers!

I bought a used steel CGA 580 valved mixed gas cylinder from the famous "Doug" on HBT many years ago (who has since retired from the used gas cylinder sales bidness). So, no rental fees, I just have to have it filled occasionally (roughly every 15 months), and I will be liable for the next hydro test ($25) if I don't get it swapped outright - probably will pay the fee as it's too pretty now to swap for a beater. (and stfu in advance, @Cape Brewing :D)

As for 60/40, I have zero experience beyond 70/30 on a short beer line at 35 psi through a battle axe Micromatic stout faucet (the thing is massive). I can only surmise the difference may not be that significant, but I could be wrong...

Cheers!
Ok so if I can score a cylinder thats got a reasonable test date I can just get it refilled? So the regulator you use on the 70/30 is a type 50stem yeah?

The 60/40 bottle is $41.88 plus about $20 for rental for a month. I have a spare regulator So I suppose I could always just get one, test it out, see how the beer turns out carbed with the 60/40 and how it pours etc. Try and transfer it into a soda stream bottle or 2 which are cheap to buy from Kegland. If I pay 1 months rental for it then its not too bad I suppose.

I just noticed where you are. CGA is a USA compressed gas standards body, and 580 is the most commonly used cylinder valve type for straight nitrogen and many mixed gases. As opposed to a 320 valve, which is used for CO2 here.

I don't know how that translates to Australian standards (AS2473, apparently) and barely having any luck figuring it out. Take a look at this page and see if you can figure out which configuration you can actually find a stem to fit that will be legit for nitrogen or beer gas. I guess a type 50 works, but there are others as well that might...

https://arciwelding.com.au/welding-basics/gas-cylinder-valve-types/
Cheers!

I just noticed where you are. CGA is a USA compressed gas standards body, and 580 is the most commonly used cylinder valve type for straight nitrogen and many mixed gases. As opposed to a 320 valve, which is used for CO2 here.

I don't know how that translates to Australian standards (AS2473, apparently) and barely having any luck figuring it out. Take a look at this page and see if you can figure out which configuration you can actually find a stem to fit that will be legit for nitrogen or beer gas. I guess a type 50 works, but there are others as well that might...

https://arciwelding.com.au/welding-basics/gas-cylinder-valve-types/
Cheers!

From what I can gather most cellar mixes come with the type 50 fitting so I would need to get this stem here to put onto my regulator.

https://www.kegland.com.au/nitrogen...anks-1-4inch-npt-to-type-50-nut-and-stem.html
The problem being I wouldn't be able to transfer it to a Sodastream bottle using this adaptor here.

https://www.kegland.com.au/sodastream-cylinder-filling-adapter-filling-station-with-bleed-valve.html
I don't want to have to keep paying $20 a month rental on the bottle.

I don't know anything about Sodastream systems or if they can handle ~30-40 psi beer gas, but looking at that filling adapter I wonder if either there's a version for your type 50 valve or if you could adapt it to fit...

Cheers!

I don't know anything about Sodastream systems or if they can handle ~30-40 psi beer gas, but looking at that filling adapter I wonder if either there's a version for your type 50 valve or if you could adapt it to fit...

Cheers!
According to Kegland you can fill the cylinders with Co2 or Nitro so I assume also a blend. But yes an adaptor of some sort is what I need. I don't know where you an get one form though.

https://www.kegland.com.au/450gram-...illable-gas-cylinder-for-co2-or-nitrogen.html

If they say you can fill their cylinders with nitro, maybe they have the proper fitting?
They're a long way from here and you guys get all their cool products before we even know they exist :D

Cheers! (and good luck!)

If they say you can fill their cylinders with nitro, maybe they have the proper fitting?
They're a long way from here and you guys get all their cool products before we even know they exist :D

Cheers! (and good luck!)
They don't have one but ill see what I can find. Thanks again.

Back