Cellared Beer Reviews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trade for a 2009 bomber. It's better. (Or at least it was last time I did a side-by-side.)
Had an 09, 11, and a Rare on consecutive days in May. Rare was barely better than the 11, but 09- which at one point was Rare-level- was way down.

Had an 09, 11, and a Rare on consecutive days in May. Rare was barely better than the 11, but 09- which at one point was Rare-level- was way down.
I've had 09 recently, I didn't think it was way down.

But when you're talking about bottles that are this old (5+ years) storage and randomness start to play a big part in everything.

20150706_135353_zpsszifuivn.jpg

BA Monster 29. Poured flat like burn Quaker State motor oil. Smelled of bourbon booze, raisins, dates, prunes, and almost every dark fruit you could imagine smothered in dark chocolate.
20150713_160351_zpstsbmi47e.jpg

Base Monster 29 was just as good. I almost enjoyed it more. Free from the barrel the base beer produces that big strong dark fruit presence but with a light char and smoke. Very chewy, light carbonation, and amazingly solid 360.

This was my last ones unfortunately. I feel these beers were highly underrated and overlooked then and now. Sadly, not many of these probably still exist. If they do, me want.

BA Monster 29. Poured flat like burn Quaker State motor oil. Smelled of bourbon booze, raisins, dates, prunes, and almost every dark fruit you could imagine smothered in dark chocolate.

Base Monster 29 was just as good. I almost enjoyed it more. Free from the barrel the base beer produces that big strong dark fruit presence but with a light char and smoke. Very chewy, light carbonation, and amazingly solid 360.

This was my last ones unfortunately. I feel these beers were highly underrated and overlooked then and now. Sadly, not many of these probably still exist. If they do, me want.
Those two beers are killer. Made the mistake of drinking BA Monster without looking at abv after I already had other beers on a fricking weeknight...

Just did some reading on this beer. They claim it's 17% ABV from a 42 Plato wort? That would be a final gravity of 14.75 or so. That is INSANE.

Just did some reading on this beer. They claim it's 17% ABV from a 42 Plato wort? That would be a final gravity of 14.75 or so. That is INSANE.

Yea it makes Dark Lord look like a well attenuated normal beer in comparison. It is pretty delicious when viewed through the prism of a still after dinner drink though.

Last edited:
Yiu4aSU.png

I compared a best before 10/18/15 to a best before 05/13/18 Westvleteren 12 the other day. The older bottle had a weaker head that was light and fizzy which quickly dissipated to a film which did hang around a while. The younger beer had a substantial head that was more resilient. Both were a dark ruby.

The nose on the older bottle was all sweet prunes and booze soaked fruit cake. Lots of the expected dark fruits. Baked apple and light molasses. Very mild oxidation. The fresher bottle was more clove, banana, bubblegum, figs, plum, spicy and less booze.

The older tasted of boozy dates, prunes, dark fruit - but not the typical raisin. Booze heat and medicinial notes (Robitussin). The fresh bottle was typical dark fruit - fig, with a caramel spicy bite. Also grape and burnt toffee notes

I prefered the mouth feel on the older bottle which was a nice medium body and quite coating. The fresher bottle has a distinctive carb that seemed to overpower the mouthfeel.

Both were very enjoyable.

20150724_142106_zpsp7rydtuq.jpg

My, oh my. This 2013 is drinking so damn fine. Lots of chocolate, toffee, and dark fruits. The heat had tapered a wee bit.
This is, without a doubt, one of the best non BA barley wines around.
Absolutely correct. Love this beer.

My other unsung hero of the PNW: Reel Ales (fish) 10 squared. Great beer.

20150724_142106_zpsp7rydtuq.jpg

My, oh my. This 2013 is drinking so damn fine. Lots of chocolate, toffee, and dark fruits. The heat had tapered a wee bit.
This is, without a doubt, one of the best non BA barley wines around.
Drank a 2011 in May of this year. Was still doing great. An all-time favorite. Cheers!

Last edited:
Did the The Bruery Anniversary vertical last night. All were 100% BA except for Papier.

Cuivre: A bit hot, sweet and boozy with a tough of caramel

Sucre: A bit sweeter than Cuivre but definitely less depth of flavor.

Bois: Lots of complexity and sweetness, no notable oxidation

Fruet: This is where things get interesting. This one was so smooth and didn't have any of that boozy heat. Lots of dark fruit, leather and barrel

Cuir: Similar to Fruet, very smooth and great balance of dark fruit, caramel, leather and barrel. Best of the set.

Coton: And this is where things fall off. Oxydized and has a weird berry sweetness to it. Uh oh

Papier: An oxidized mess. I've read and heard the word "cardboard" being used to descrid oxidation. This was the prime example. Barely drinkable.

I had a '10 a coupler weeks ago. It's still great but would not push it too much further.

I had a '10 a coupler weeks ago. It's still great but would not push it too much further.

My bad screwed up the quoting. That was a reference to a '10 Founder's Imp. Stout. To elaboate I dig those guys with age as the hops are sometimes raw out the gate.

fubRupb.png

Just opened up a November 2012 Palo Santo Marron. It's similar to fresh, with the distinctive spicy wood note in the forefront, except now there is a ton of indistinguishable dark fruits intermingled with the spiced wood.

This beer remains predominately palo santo wood after 2.5 years, but it is becoming a little more interesting. Does anyone have any experience with these with more age? As I always seem to have a couple of these hanging around, I'm curious if there is some experience with the barrel receding with further aging.

in honor of Fred's passing

E042E205-0704-4FAD-A703-66BFF63AD38F.jpg

as still as the day it was released. regardless a wonderful brew considering the discount this went for when Alan actually admitted he ****ed up. anyway, in 4 years it has not started to show its age. still has layers of caramelized sugars and a noticeable woodiness and alcohol warmth. carb would do this wonders but as is, its a great raisony cordial

in honor of Fred's passing

E042E205-0704-4FAD-A703-66BFF63AD38F.jpg

as still as the day it was released. regardless a wonderful brew considering the discount this went for when Alan actually admitted he ****ed up. anyway, in 4 years it has not started to show its age. still has layers of caramelized sugars and a noticeable woodiness and alcohol warmth. carb would do this wonders but as is, its a great raisony cordial
It's always amazing to me how dark BFftW and FftW are compared to Fred. Barrels to weird things to pale beers.

It's always amazing to me how dark BFftW and FftW are compared to Fred. Barrels to weird things to pale beers.

barrels certainly make a brew darker. hell, the sanitary solution i use to put in barrels between fillings changed from clear to stained like tea. the intensity mellows out with every fill/empty.

not to downplay the color barrels impart but HOTD isnt exactly consistent with their brewing batch to batch and it wouldnt surprise me if different batches of un-oaked fred looked at least a little different too

barrels certainly make a brew darker. hell, the sanitary solution i use to put in barrels between fillings changed from clear to stained like tea. the intensity mellows out with every fill/empty.

not to downplay the color barrels impart but HOTD isnt exactly consistent with their brewing batch to batch and it wouldnt surprise me if different batches of un-oaked fred looked at least a little different too
That's a great point. I do think it's notable that they don't call oaked Fred a "golden Belgian-style ale" like the normal version.

Picture x-posted in 08/13/15.

The initial pour had just a film of an off white to slightly white rising up along the sides of my snifter. Gently dissipates and the lacing slides right on into the beer. The aroma has lost some of the "meaty/bacon-esque" flavor, yet a beautiful amount of cocoa blends sweetly into gentle campfire smoke. The flavor was sweet smokey cocoa, full and indulgent. I'd say it sat about medium bodied with a decent sipping to sessionable feel running about it. Carbonation definitely is starting to run lighter than fresher versions. Always a pleasurable beer to drink!

The initial pour had just a film of an off white to slightly white rising up along the sides of my snifter. Gently dissipates and the lacing slides right on into the beer. The aroma has lost some of the "meaty/bacon-esque" flavor, yet a beautiful amount of cocoa blends sweetly into gentle campfire smoke. The flavor was sweet smokey cocoa, full and indulgent. I'd say it sat about medium bodied with a decent sipping to sessionable feel running about it. Carbonation definitely is starting to run lighter than fresher versions. Always a pleasurable beer to drink!
im down with being too lazy to cross post a pic but what were you drinking?

based on your description i guess alaskan smoked porter

edit: im bored enough that i just looked at your posting history and saw that was indeed the beer. christ im pathetic

im down with being too lazy to cross post a pic but what were you drinking?

based on your description i guess alaskan smoked porter

edit: im bored enough that i just looked at your

posting history and saw that was indeed the beer. christ im pathetic

Oh ****, I just now noticed, my bad. Yes, Alaskan Smoked porter. Thanks man, good call, next time, I'll post pic. No you're not pathetic. I didn't do that right.

What year ASP? I started a vert. after having a 10yo bottle a few years back. Was thinking of drinking them soon. That beer ages so gracefully for a porter.

What year ASP? I started a vert. after having a 10yo bottle a few years back. Was thinking of drinking them soon. That beer ages so gracefully for a porter.

I totally agree about its ageability (is that a word, he, I think you know what I mean). Yes, I lived in Juneau from 2013 til this past winter. When I accepted a job back East, I figured, time to take as much Smoked porter with me as I could. So I nabbed a good amount (not gonna say online how much I have) and came back East. Yeah, opened one up last week, saw this thread and figured, yeah, why not.

This one, was a 2013. And it was really good to me.

Its up to you, but you could probably hold off if you wanted to. Oldest I ever had was a 2002 last Summer and it tasted exceptional. There's a reason why that brewery knows what they're doing when it comes to that style.

Cheers!

Adam

I totally agree about its ageability (is that a word, he, I think you know what I mean). Yes, I lived in Juneau from 2013 til this past winter. When I accepted a job back East, I figured, time to take as much Smoked porter with me as I could. So I nabbed a good amount (not gonna say online how much I have) and came back East. Yeah, opened one up last week, saw this thread and figured, yeah, why not.

This one, was a 2013. And it was really good to me.

Its up to you, but you could probably hold off if you wanted to. Oldest I ever had was a 2002 last Summer and it tasted exceptional. There's a reason why that brewery knows what they're doing when it comes to that style.

Cheers!

Adam

what i really want to do is find some older bottles to drink with the newish ones but i have no clue where to start the search. anything pre 2009 would work.

what i really want to do is find some older bottles to drink with the newish ones but i have no clue where to start the search. anything pre 2009 would work.

As of last Summer, ABC hooked up with a distributor in South Dakota and started putting their beers in Michigan (that's the farthest East), they're at now. And I'm pretty sure, they go all the way South to Texas.

www.seekabrew.com might be able to peg down distro location (I'm not sure how correct it is these days). But then again, distributors aren't always going to ship out older batches either. Hmmm...maybe even posting a thread in the "FT forum" on here or checking out beerexchange. I'm sorry but I don't have any to trade right now or I'd help you.

As of last Summer, ABC hooked up with a distributor in South Dakota and started putting their beers in Michigan (that's the farthest East), they're at now. And I'm pretty sure, they go all the way South to Texas.

www.seekabrew.com might be able to peg down distro location (I'm not sure how correct it is these days). But then again, distributors aren't always going to ship out older batches either. Hmmm...maybe even posting a thread in the "FT forum" on here or checking out beerexchange. I'm sorry but I don't have any to trade right now or I'd help you.

Yep, I've been getting them from tx the last few years. I've looked for them old ones via trading in the past but came up empty handed. Maybe it is time to look again after I finish taking care of a few folks I owe boxes to.

2012 Eccentric Ale. Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, Butternut Squash, spices, honey and maple syrup.

Thin, off-white lacing. Not a great glass for aroma, but it mostly smells spicy.
Whatever under "spices" Bell's uses to jack up the bittering, it has lingered much longer than hops ever would. There is a light vegetal flavor on the back end if you look for it, but it is entirely characteristic of the squash used in the beer. There is some residual sweetness from the added sugars, but mostly they fermented out.

The beer is holding up well, considering the purpose of Eccentric Ale is not to be particulary good (though I would chug 2008 on the regularr).

This is not much of a review but I opened a 2010 Pannepot last weekend (after a few too many beers) and I was getting this really interesting stout like roastiness from it. Unlike any Pannepot I've had before.

Will revisit another bottle this weekend and post a more detailed review.

Never had this beer before but it tastes damn good to me. A tiny bit of oxidation, but it's a benefit here as it balances the port and the dark fruits. Not overly sweet. Subdued roast, chocolate, and dark fruits.

I think the beer still has some good legs on it.

Never had this beer before but it tastes damn good to me. A tiny bit of oxidation, but it's a benefit here as it balances the port and the dark fruits. Not overly sweet. Subdued roast, chocolate, and dark fruits.

I think the beer still has some good legs on it.

Thanks for invite.

fubRupb.png

Just opened up a November 2012 Palo Santo Marron. It's similar to fresh, with the distinctive spicy wood note in the forefront, except now there is a ton of indistinguishable dark fruits intermingled with the spiced wood.

This beer remains predominately palo santo wood after 2.5 years, but it is becoming a little more interesting. Does anyone have any experience with these with more age? As I always seem to have a couple of these hanging around, I'm curious if there is some experience with the barrel receding with further aging.

Sorry I'm a little late to the game replying to this. I had a 2010 and 2011 in January. The '11 was fine, but the '10 had fallen off quite a bit.

Latest posts

Back