cell density of top cropped yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkinThailand

Reaction score
I searched around and couldn't really find a good answer.

I top cropped my 1469 about 3 weeks ago, and am going to use the yeast this week (I know its better to use right away but that wasn't possible).

I cropped about a liters worth of krausen (after skimming and discarding the day prior) which has settled down to around 200 ml of packed, clean very clean looking yeast.

Anyone have an idea of the cell density?

I haven't done cell counts on cropped yeast but harvested/starter slurry typically yields 1.25-1.5 billion cells per milliliter for me. Given its 3 weeks old it would seem that range would be a good conservative estimate.

thanks sky4meplease, i too usually go with 1.5 billion per mL for harvested or starter slurry so will go with that if no one else chimes in with any input, which i am not too hopeful for since i couldn't find anything anywhere with a good amount of searching.

but anyways, anyone else have any better idea of the cell density of top cropped yeast?

Back