CC Corney keg-how do you purge air with no relief valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKHomebrew

Reaction score
Guys,

I have not kegged yet and I picked up a couple of coca cola corney kegs, they have pin style locks and the part that i am a little boggled on is that there is no pull ring style relief valve, so I am wondering how to purge the air out with the co2 after I fill it. my only thought was to sort of break the seal a little on the top but I would sure like any input, i would like to start out by filling one half full and try the system out.

:ban::mug:

I have the same kegs, I cut my CO2 dip tubes very short(you dont want them submerged in the beer) then when everything is sealed up I give a shot of CO2, take the disconnect off the valve. then just use my thumbnail to depress the CO2 valve and puge the air out, I do that a couple times to make sure all the air is out, then give one last shot of CO2 and set it aside.

Have you had any problems doing it this way? like I said I want to fill it half way at first and try it, i really dont want to waste a full batch at first

no, never had any problems, its basically the exact same thing as using a relief valve that you would find on a ball lock keg. think of it as bleeding excess pressure from a tire by pressing the pin in a tire valve.

Thanks for the info, I am checking with the guy in town I got the kegs from to see if he has any ball lock style, if not i will just keep these. Thanks again for the help,

One more thing how much did you cut of your suction tube?

He said he cut his CO2 tubes NOT his suction tubes. Although some people cut about a half inch off the suction tubes to prevent sedament from sucking up the lines I find that this is not needed always.

My thought would be if you need to bleed extra pressure out the keg you could just use a extra pin lock that is not attached to a hose while filling your Keg. You should be filling your Keg from the liquid side (out) black pin lock which means use a gas in pin lock.

yeah, I dont cut my suction (beer) tube, that one should go all the way to the bottom of the keg. I cut the gas one so its only a couple of inches long. I like pin lock better than ball lock, there is no possibility of hooking up to the wrong valve.

Guys,

Thanks allot, i will look at the keg again to check on the gas tube, one of you said to fill from the fluid side, will that work? i mean you will get some bubbles but it would work for the bleeding.

Thanks again

:ban::mug:

My thought would be if you need to bleed extra pressure out the keg you could just use a extra pin lock that is not attached to a hose while filling your Keg. You should be filling your Keg from the liquid side (out) black pin lock which means use a gas in pin lock.

I believe he is assuming you are bleeding from another keg? If you are trasnfering from another keg, you preassurize both equally, jumper the out lines, and then bleed the air out of the empty keg while supplying air to the full one to push the beer over.

If you siphon, you want CO2 on the in post for filling/purging. Either blast with CO2, siphon from the bottom up, seal and purge a few times, or just siphon and seal purge a few times (CO2 going to the IN post). Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back