Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Festus, doing what he does best - sleeping.
He's not actually a pure Bombay or black cat, he's a mix. His fur is actually a deep, dark chocolate with barely visible darker stripes you can only see in bright sunlight. We're feeding both kits a mix of dry and wet food along with chicken, salmon, and tuna. I cook for the dog and he likes my food. This irks the wife because the dog will be picky with her cooking. :D

fest2.jpg

Festus, doing what he does best - sleeping.
He's not actually a pure Bombay or black cat, he's a mix. His fur is actually a deep, dark chocolate with barely visible darker stripes you can only see in bright sunlight. We're feeding both kits a mix of dry and wet food along with chicken, salmon, and tuna. I cook for the dog and he likes my food. This irks the wife because the dog will be picky with her cooking. :D

View attachment 737484

I had a Bombay. I may have a small tattoo dedicated to him.... watch yourself :)

Our current cat doesn't care about the beer in any way, but the previous cat (pictured) was obsessed with the fermentation bubbles and would stand guard over the magic cauldron the entire brew. He was a proper black cat.

My pets tend to get very large. Pugs here lived to 14 and weighed 26lbs, and was nearly 4 foot from nose to tail. We couldn't let him go outside because the neighbors would keep calling the news about a black panther on the loose.

What's your secret to feeding them?

Meet Festus and Mara.

I got them from the Ocean County Animal Shelter as stray kitten siblings. There were three siblings, I took two. Teddy, the third little one, was already wanted by multiple people so I took the others - and glad I did. They are well-socialized little cats at just over 4 months of age.
I typically name all my male cats with an Italian or Latin name, so Festus fits this happy little ball of energy. He's my shadow and a comfort since my Old Gray Man passed on. Mara is a very mild-mannered girl who rarely ever says much.

View attachment 737480View attachment 737481

You're grey looks like my new kitten, Kevin. This one is turning out to be super high energy and very smart. He's also got himself a really assertive personality and unfortunately likes to pick fights. I'm working on that little quirk, and may introduce him to a second kitten to see if that calms him down and improves his social skills.

He likes to get in on what I'm doing and here he is supervising the window remodel...

20210809_150423.jpg

20210809_150746.jpg

He likes to get in on what I'm doing and here he is supervising the window remodel...

My two are underfoot constantly. Dragging potatoes out of the bag and rolling them across the floor.
They eff with the dog by tapping him on the head with paws while he drinks from his water bowl. They steal his toys or attempt to raid his treats and training snacks. The dog is trained to some degree and has a good temper, thankfully, but he's a young Husky and has to stay leashed in the house, otherwise he'd ransack the house or trash the place if he wasn't supervised - especially with young cats around.
They double-team me at 4 or 5AM by sticking a wet nose in my face. One of Festus' favorite tricks is climbing up my bare leg and hugging me as a reminder he's hungry. They're very much a couple of naughty kids who watch everything when they're not busy deconstructing the place.

Obviously typical juvenile cats. They'll calm down after a while ... I think.

You're grey looks like my new kitten, Kevin. This one is turning out to be super high energy and very smart. He's also got himself a really assertive personality and unfortunately likes to pick fights. I'm working on that little quirk, and may introduce him to a second kitten to see if that calms him down and improves his social skills.

View attachment 738430

View attachment 738433
My wife is absolutely in love with that cat. And the name.

Anyone else discovered the magic that is wood pellet cat litter? It's been a game changer in this household. $6 for a 40 lb bag, no stink, no tracking, easy cleanup and lasts seemingly forever. Oh, and you can compost it.

20211023_115626.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished feeding and watering the OOD (Out Of Door cats). I swear there were only a couple of them at first that I was helping out.
Now there are eight of them:
Xerox
Gul Du Cat
Butterscotch
Butterball
Fireball
William Wallace
Thumb Print
Starbuck

The following don't live too near, visit once in a while:
Johnny Cash
Stunt Double
Milkshake
Sugar Cookie

I'm sure naming them hasn't helped with distancing myself from feeling the obligation to take care of them. We have the three, very large containers, lined with Styrofoam and ready to be filled with straw come December. One of these days I'm going to TNR them all

Just finished feeding and watering the OOD (Out Of Door cats). I swear there were only a couple of them at first that I was helping out.
Now there are eight of them:
Xerox
Gul Du Cat
Butterscotch
Butterball
Fireball
William Wallace
Thumb Print
Starbuck

The following don't live too near, visit once in a while:
Johnny Cash
Stunt Double
Milkshake
Sugar Cookie

I'm sure naming them hasn't helped with distancing myself from feeling the obligation to take care of them. We have the three, very large containers, lined with Styrofoam and ready to be filled with straw come December. One of these days I'm going to TNR them all
Haha. I know what you mean, but be careful word gets out in the stray cat community. My brother is taking care of 16 cats.

My brother is taking care of 16 cats.
Sixteen can get a little expensive. We drop a pretty penny just on the OOD.
You aren't kidding about word getting out--we're like the new, hot restaurant. I really need that TNR strategy. I keep talking about it....
We got this lady across the street who has who-knows how many. She feeds that herd on her porch and also every morning comes across the street to our house and feeds "ours" which maybe contributed to the population growth. My wife and I spent some time discussing whether we should tell her not to feed the ones over here. However, she's at the low end/bottom of normal intelligence so we figured since it makes her feel useful, just thank her and tell her we appreciate it.
Need to get that TNR going....

hog batting.jpg

I might have given the background before on Hogarth, here, but just in case:
He was a stray cat, previously named "Mini Wheat." He used to get picked on by Rose Tyler (she hated all other cats, especially kittens) so I started letting him into an enclosed area and feeding him a large can of cat food at a time. This went on and on until I couldn't stand letting him back outside after he ate. He was "part stray" by the time I brought him in permanently. He loves the other cats and us but still retains some suspicion in certain circumstances.
I wish the top photo was a little clearer but, oh well.
That's him, below, a loyal Michigan fan.
football hog.jpg

We lost our lady cat Toasty today. She’d been sick for a few weeks, lost a bit of weight and her meds weren’t seeming to help. We opted to get an ultrasound to see what was up. The poor girl had been trying so hard to eat and be herself that we vowed we had to investigate to see if it was treatable. It wasn’t. And when the vet was telling us about her cancer, she went into cardiac arrest in the other room. The connection between her and my wife was unbelievable. It seriously makes me wonder if she knew it wasn’t good, and wanted to spare my wife the visual of watching her slowly go. The house will always be a little more quiet, and little less stinky, and a lot less joyful.
Before her ultrasound, the vet tech had texted some photos to my wife that showed her just so happy and content just waiting in her kennel. I’m forever grateful that guy did that, considering the outcome. This was one of the last photos I took of her when she was just starting her meds a couple weeks ago. Miss you, girl.
F2C620BC-5A7F-4677-9AC3-4C4EF7203A6C.jpeg

We lost our lady cat Toasty today. She’d been sick for a few weeks, lost a bit of weight and her meds weren’t seeming to help. We opted to get an ultrasound to see what was up. The poor girl had been trying so hard to eat and be herself that we vowed we had to investigate to see if it was treatable. It wasn’t. And when the vet was telling us about her cancer, she went into cardiac arrest in the other room. The connection between her and my wife was unbelievable. It seriously makes me wonder if she knew it wasn’t good, and wanted to spare my wife the visual of watching her slowly go. The house will always be a little more quiet, and little less stinky, and a lot less joyful.
Before her ultrasound, the vet tech had texted some photos to my wife that showed her just so happy and content just waiting in her kennel. I’m forever grateful that guy did that, considering the outcome. This was one of the last photos I took of her when she was just starting her meds a couple weeks ago. Miss you, girl.
View attachment 755425

Sorry for your loss. Came in here reminiscing a little bit about my gone girls. Don't think it ever gets easier, just hurts a little less as time goes on.

This is Queen Victoria. She was born under a neighbors shed. She was no where close to being weened when I got her. Luckily I was self employed back then and just put everything on hold and cared for her and did hobbies for about two weeks. She is roughly 18 years old now. Still very spy and athletic and violent. I love her. She loves the woodburner.

1642812950002.png
1642812967211.png

This is Lucy. She is fat, sweet, and beautiful. She was dumped on me and I love her, but not as much. The mean kitty above stole my heart with all the scars she put on my body.

1642813144512.png

Back