Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She only sleeps under the covers when I take naps after work... never over night.
IThiFRH.jpg

AJO7YMg.jpg

Awwwww!!

Neither of mine is much interested in being under the covers EXCEPT for Tequila for about 10 minutes when I have the heated mattress pad turned on! :) Then that's it and she's outta there.

Mine never liked to crawl under the covers. He was content to sit at the foot of the bed and wait to attack my toes whenever I moved them under cover. Or he'd climb over my head and stick his ass in my face.

Truman is unique. We obtained him when we bought out house a year ago tomorrow. Great, sweet, vocal cat. Loves to me near you with a paw touching you. Loves to poop by the door. .........

20170125_192813.jpg

20161231_105439.jpg

Truman is unique. We obtained him when we bought out house a year ago tomorrow. Great, sweet, vocal cat. Loves to me near you with a paw touching you. Loves to poop by the door. .........

Looks like he'd poop in the toilet if you'd open the lid for him...

This is the best time to get a picture of this guy. You can actually see his face. He begs for his belly to get rubbed when I get home from work.

View attachment 408667

At least yours does it when you get home from work. Mine waits our alarms in the am to go off and then comes and lays on your chest waiting for belly rubs. They turned 6 months last weekend

Attachments

• 1501044288729.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 30
Had to take dip**** to the vet. shes down 1.5lbs so im waiting on lab work to come back to see what the hell is going on.

Had to take dip**** to the vet. shes down 1.5lbs so im waiting on lab work to come back to see what the hell is going on.

Aaarrrgggh! That's always scary.

Just had the same experience with St. Pauli Girl - down a full pound since her exam last year - and she only weighed a little over 8 to begin with. Labs ensued, show slightly elevated renal panel but not outside the normal range. Vet thinks she may be in early renal failure. :( She's around 10 years old.

So, I put her on Fancy Feast wet with a phosphorus binder (Epakitin) and also got some FortiFlora to sprinkle on the food and encourage her to eat it. She's one of those "eats to live" cats, whereas Tequila, our other girl, is a "lives to eat" cat - so it's not easy to feed them because I gotta watch out for Tequila getting into Pauli's stuff!

I hope the labs don't disclose anything bad, but something easily treatable, for your kitty! Let us know what you find out.

Aaarrrgggh! That's always scary.

Just had the same experience with St. Pauli Girl - down a full pound since her exam last year - and she only weighed a little over 8 to begin with. Labs ensued, show slightly elevated renal panel but not outside the normal range. Vet thinks she may be in early renal failure. :( She's around 10 years old.

So, I put her on Fancy Feast wet with a phosphorus binder (Epakitin) and also got some FortiFlora to sprinkle on the food and encourage her to eat it. She's one of those "eats to live" cats, whereas Tequila, our other girl, is a "lives to eat" cat - so it's not easy to feed them because I gotta watch out for Tequila getting into Pauli's stuff!

I hope the labs don't disclose anything bad, but something easily treatable, for your kitty! Let us know what you find out.

will do. going to be a stressful wait till the labs come back. I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing but shes not even 4 years old yet (october).

Vet was stumped along with me as nothing jumped out to her. Kidney function at least urine production wise was normal as in shes still using the litterbox at least.

who the hell knows at this point.

Sorry to hear, hope everything comes out ok.
Gizmo our 10 year old American short hair tuxedo had a sharp decline of weight along with some skin issues. All the blood work came back negative so they gave him a steroid shot. That helped with the skin issues for a few months, but the sores started coming back and he was still losing weight even though he was eating well. One of the doctors ask what we were feeding him (Purina Pro Plan Chicken and rice) as they had run across a study that mentioned even though some cats are eating well that their body is not digesting/receiving the nutrients from the chicken protein like they once were. Kind of like they have built up an immunity. We switched to Pro Plan Salmon 3 months ago and not only has his skin completely cleared up, but he is gaining weight. Hope this information is helpful to others.

On a side note.... I extracted myself awkwardly from the bed the morning as not to disturb the two sleeping hairless sisters on each side of me, my wife had Mr. Moes (aka Gizmo) resting peacefully on her chest. A cats life is rough around here. ;)

We lost my Harry with no warning so I pray that your vet can give you tools to help you get dip**** back healthy. Otherwise you are bound to have this happen :)

And that is with one cat missing.... the stray we saved isn't integrated yet.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1501117678.064816.jpg

In all seriousness. Good luck sir, I am hopeful the vet will give you great advice.

I'm always on the lookout for a high quality canned cat food and I'm wondering what works other peoples cats.

I used to swear by Evo, which my cat went crazy for. It included ground up parts of just about everything (including bone), and smelled terrible, but my cat thrived on it and even her coat shone so much that people asked what I was feeding her. Sadly, the original owners sold to big business and the recipe was replaced by low quality crap. The cat refused to touch it. Since then I've been feeding her Wellness brand canned food. She likes it and seems to do well, but it's no Evo. $4 per full-sized can (5 days worth of food), but I figure its worth spending on quality food now and hopefully saving on vet bills later.

Good luck on the tests.
One of my boys developed feline diabetes and he lost quite a bit of weight before we realized he had it. His health has improved markedly with the twice daily insulin shots and modified dry/wet food diet. Matter of fact, he's gained weight, isn't drinking large amounts of water, or exhibiting anxiety over food.

Cats are pretty stoic creatures and blood tests will tell you a lot, especially the glucose and protein analysis. They can get bored with their food and I've noticed they will prefer some over others, so I try to mix it up a bit.

Ok so I have to make a confession. I grew up without cats. We only had dogs growing up. I thought cats were stupid animals that didn't want anything to do with humans.

Fast forward 29 years... Now I want ALL THE CATS. Like, all of them. My wife (who loves cats and instigated my love for them) has repeatedly had to tell me to stop following shelters on Instagram cuz I want to adopt all the kitties. Don't get me wrong, I still love the pooches, but I want a farm of cats and dogs. That's really all I want in life

At least yours does it when you get home from work. Mine waits our alarms in the am to go off and then comes and lays on your chest waiting for belly rubs. They turned 6 months last weekend

Oh no, he does it about an hour before the alarm goes off every morning as well. I get woken up to a very loud meow about 3 inches from my face most mornings. Followed by some intense purring once I give in.

Ok so results are back and... possibly not good?

All the test resutls were fine (kidney / liver function etc), but one. Her calcium levels are elevated.

So shes getting an ultrasound tomorrow to rule out cancer. If thats not it.. it may be dietary / hormonal some sort of thyroid issue.

So hypercalcemia pending further diagnosis as to the root cause.

Really really hoping its not cancer. Oh im also going to be WAY out of town in about 6 weeks.. so im hoping I can get her on the up and up before I go out of town.

Ok so results are back and... possibly not good?

All the test resutls were fine (kidney / liver function etc), but one. Her calcium levels are elevated.

So shes getting an ultrasound tomorrow to rule out cancer. If thats not it.. it may be dietary / hormonal some sort of thyroid issue.

So hypercalcemia pending further diagnosis as to the root cause.

Really really hoping its not cancer. Oh im also going to be WAY out of town in about 6 weeks.. so im hoping I can get her on the up and up before I go out of town.

Sigh, they surely can worry us! Please let us know what the ultrasound shows, if you would. I'll be sending out good thoughts for your little girl!

Sigh, they surely can worry us! Please let us know what the ultrasound shows, if you would. I'll be sending out good thoughts for your little girl!

ill keep you all posted.

worst case I had 4 good years with her. best case i get a few more.

shes gotten me through some of the worst times in my life, now its my turn to get her through hers.

Back