Cassia chips in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeadyG

Reaction score
I've got a big, roasty imperial stout in my fermenter at the moment. I used Perennial's Fantastic Voyage recipe (minus the coconut) and the OG is 1.118. I want to go for more of an Abraxas flavor. I intend to add most of a bottle of Cholaca liquid cacao, 2 oz of dried ancho chilies and some cassia bark chips (what Perennial uses in Abraxas) at 5 days left in secondary. I'm just not sure how much cassia chips I should add. I'm thinking about 1 oz. I really want a subtle cinnamon flavor and I'm wary of adding too much.

Does anyone have any experience with cassia chips? Any guidance for me? Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Welp, nobody responded but in case anyone with the same question finds this post in the future, I reached out to Perennial for some guidance. The owner, Phil Wymore (who appeared in an excellent video course on brewing imperial stouts that you can find in the link in the original post), got back to me and said they use the equivalent of a hair over one ounce for a five-gallon batch. They also use powdered cassia, which is typically what you'd find in cheap grocery store cinnamon, rather than cassia bark, because they get a better extraction from the powder. What a great guy.

Last edited:
Welp, nobody responded but in case anyone with the same question finds this post in the future, I reached out to Perennial for some guidance. The owner, Phil Wymore (who appeared in an excellent video course on brewing imperial stouts that you can find in the link in the original post), got back to me and said they use the equivalent of a hair over one ounce for a five-gallon batch. They also use powdered cassia, which is typically what you'd find in cheap grocery store cinnamon, rather than cassia bark, because they get a better extraction from the powder. What a great guy.

So 30grams/1oz~ to 20L/5gal~ of cassia powder, in the secondary? I tried some sticks and was way owerpowering. Im after the cinnamon-bun taste in a future batch.

So 30grams/1oz~ to 20L/5gal~ of cassia powder, in the secondary? I tried some sticks and was way owerpowering. Im after the cinnamon-bun taste in a future batch.
That's about right, at least for a big stout. I had a bad experience with way too much cinnamon in my first attempt at a Mexican chocolate stout so I'm going to be super cautious this time. But Abraxas is a perfect balance IMHO so I'm looking forward to trying this out.

That's about right, at least for a big stout. I had a bad experience with way too much cinnamon in my first attempt at a Mexican chocolate stout so I'm going to be super cautious this time. But Abraxas is a perfect balance IMHO so I'm looking forward to trying this out.
haha me too! two types of chilies and cinnamon with zero chocolate. keep me updated when you do this! 1oz seems like alot when powdered but it might be just right

haha me too! two types of chilies and cinnamon with zero chocolate. keep me updated when you do this! 1oz seems like alot when powdered but it might be just right
I'll post an update in about 5 weeks or so. He also recommended bagging it up with other adjuncts, if you have any. I'm going to be using cassia bark chips this time so it'll be a bit easier. In the video course he recommends 5-7 days for extraction.

Can we start an Abraxas recipe thread? It’s one of the adjunct imperial stouts that got me interested in the style and one of the best I’ve tried. I have found next to nothing here or on the interwebs on emulating or cloning it. @HeadyG would you be willing to post your recipe in the recipe forum for us to work on?

Cassia is more aggressive than true cinnamon so take a look at similar recipes and adjust the volume of cassia by 20-30%. You can always add more cassia but you can't take it out.

Can we start an Abraxas recipe thread? It’s one of the adjunct imperial stouts that got me interested in the style and one of the best I’ve tried. I have found next to nothing here or on the interwebs on emulating or cloning it. @HeadyG would you be willing to post your recipe in the recipe forum for us to work on?

Done. Have at it kids. Look forward to working on this problem with you.

Latest posts

Back