Cask conditioning vs. force carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icantbejon

Reaction score
Ok, so I'll assume there are a million different opinions on this question, much like dextrose vs. dme for carbonation, so I'd ask that all those that think force carbonation is the devil's work and cask conditioning is ridiculous to ignore this post. I'm just looking for a moderate opinion on the plus/minus of each approach. I have my first beer in a keg and I'm just trying to decide which approach I would like to try. At some point, I'm sure I'll use both techniques....I'm just trying to get some more info from the experts.

Thanks all.

Do you mean possibly mean "keg priming" instead of "cask conditioning"? Cask (real ale) is a different animal.

Not trying to be a dick, it's just that there is already enough misuse of terminology in the homebrew community.

As to the question: 6 of one/half dozen of another. There can be arguments made that priming and extended bulk ageing in a keg results in a different brew than simply putting it on gas. There is also the argument that you can prime in the keg if you have a batch ready but no room in the kegerator for it. There are also arguments as to force carbing vs set-and-forget. Etc, etc.

Whatever works for you, I'd prefer not to express my personal opinion in another "which way is better" thread.

Back