Cask Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm making a cask beer for the Blue Point Cask Beer Festival, this will be my 1st cask beer. I'm thinking about making a coffee milk stout. When should I brew it so it has enough time in the cask? and any other tips for making a cask conditioned beer?

The homebrew group I'm in only told us we're in it last week and they know we haven't started anything just yet, esp since we would have to borrow a cask from the group.

So anyother advice?

Beers mature slower the darker and higher alcohol they are. When you brew a stout you need to know that for it to be at its peak will take more time than a low alcohol light color beer. You didn't say when the festival will take place so more advice would depend on how much time you have.

The cask aspect specifically is ALL about freshness. Once a beer is in a cask it should be served as soon as it reaches the desired level of carbonation.

How much time your beer spends in the primary fermenter (and possibly secondary) is a different issue, but a beer would normally only be in a cask a few days to maybe a couple weeks before serving.

The cask aspect specifically is ALL about freshness. Once a beer is in a cask it should be served as soon as it reaches the desired level of carbonation.

How much time your beer spends in the primary fermenter (and possibly secondary) is a different issue, but a beer would normally only be in a cask a few days to maybe a couple weeks before serving.

right. one of my biggest regrets is that my favorite beer is cask conditioned English real ale, yet its so hard to replicate as a home brewer. The onyl way to do it is with a cask, and then you have to drink it all within a day or two of putting it in the cask, and then you need special equipment. there are ways to imitate it, and when i brew my own I will carb it at something like a 1.0 to get a low carbonation, but its never quite the same.

would i be better off doing something light? I've been thinking about a pepper saison, I just worried that i wouldn't get the carbonation that a saison needs

Back