Carrying too much Vienna

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zamo27

Reaction score
I have 10lbs of Vienna malt which will expire in May
It's crushed and ready, sealed under vacuum
What beer recipes or styles can I go for to quickly get rid of it in ideally 1 batch maybe 2 beers?
Thanks

It just so happens that the 2014 NHC gold award winning Oktoberfest/Marzen recipe calls for exactly 10 pounds of Vienna. See page 61 of September/October 2014 issue of Zymurgy.

Vienna is my choice for session ipa and frequently SMaSh beers, you get more color and flavor vs 2-row without having to use specialty malts, which can be very easy to overdo in a lower abv beer.

Pick a new hop you've been curious about trying anf go for it. Or a new yeast, or both! Or try out a new method like doing 100% hop burst, or all FWH....having extra ingredients is a great way to play around

Most of my SMaSH beers i do no sparge brewing, at 60% efficiency I am usually around 12-13 lbs for 5 gal of 1.046-1.050 ish beers, at 70%+ you would be able to get there on 10lbs.

Back