Carmel-ish taste to my extract wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawle102

Reaction score
My first kit was the Northrim what kit from homebrewers outpost. I followed the instructions and didn't deviate from them as it was my first brew.

It has now been 2+ weeks since bottling and all of what I have bottled has what I describe as a carmel-ish taste to it.

After reading more threads on here since my first brew day, I realized that the instruction had me boil the LME for 45 or 60 min. From what I have gathered from reading in other threads, boiling extract for that long could burn the extract. I was stirring it continuously throughout the entire boil.

So is my entire bottled batch going to have this taste or will a little longer bottle conditioning help mellow this flavor out ?

My bet is that the taste is there to stay, and that is why I started the late addition of LME... It works!

Yup that's an easy fix for the next go round. To keep it simple, boil as much of the volume as you can handle (which means all your burner and pot will handle, AND all you can effectively chill).

Then only add 1/3rd of the extract for the boil, and the last 2/3rds at 10 min to flameout while stirring very well. Also, once the extract is dissolved, you no longer need to stir the wort...you can, but it's not needed.

My bet is that the taste is there to stay, and that is why I started the late addition of LME... It works!

+1 make sure when adding LME you cut off the heat cause it sinks right to the bottom and doesn't take long to scorch, I did a wheat and forgot to cut the heat and it didn't burn but the beer turned out more of an amber color than i was looking for.

Latest posts

Back