Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewboy

Reaction score
For a five gallon batch, during secondary fermentation, does it make a difference if a 6.5 gallon or 5 gallon carboy is used. I know it makes a difference in wine making where you only want to leave a couple inches of air space, but does it matter in making beer. Thanks

brewboy said:
For a five gallon batch, during secondary fermentation, does it make a difference if a 6.5 gallon or 5 gallon carboy is used. I know it makes a difference in wine making where you only want to leave a couple inches of air space, but does it matter in making beer. Thanks

I use a 5 gallon for secondary....works just fine for me.

shouldn't make much of a difference. If the carboy isn't disturbed, then the heavier co2 (assuming there is still a slight amount of fermentation going on) should act as a barrier between the beer and any air in the headspace.

Yeah, what Uncle Fat said. You have nothing to worry about.

Also, unless you will be aging your beer for a long time, a little aeration would never be something you'd notice anyway. It's definitely not a big deal.

I'd definitely use the 5 gal carboy for secondary so you have the 6.5 gal carboy available for primary. In primary you want the extra room for high krausen so the crusty foam doesn't fill the airlock.

Back