Carboys or Buckets for Primaries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
Is there one that's better than another? I've read a bunch on here and I get mixed reviews. Is it just one's preference? I've read that plastic, glass or buckets are all the same and then some people say they aren't...
Also, keeping a imperial or something strong/heavy in a secondary for a long period of time 2-4 months+ would you want to do it in a glass or is plastic also ok?
Thanks!

Long aging you would want glass. Otherwise it is just preference.

Is there a timeframe on how long plastic carboys and buckets usually last if you clean them and store them well after each use? Does any of the brew process eat away at the plastic at all ever to where it would thin the plastic out after using it a long time?

Is there one that's better than another? I've read a bunch on here and I get mixed reviews. Is it just one's preference? I've read that plastic, glass or buckets are all the same and then some people say they aren't...
Also, keeping a imperial or something strong/heavy in a secondary for a long period of time 2-4 months+ would you want to do it in a glass or is plastic also ok?
Thanks!

The vessel of choice is only as non-permeable as the weakest point.

As long as the vessel is of Food Grade materials and can be protected from light and air currents then anything is fine. Even for extended primaries.

Is there a timeframe on how long plastic carboys and buckets usually last if you clean them and store them well after each use? Does any of the brew process eat away at the plastic at all ever to where it would thin the plastic out after using it a long time?

They will last as long as the bonds of the seams can hold unless you are cleaning with caustics.

Matteo57

I'm sure others with more brewing education will pipe in with science based answers. From my own experience and readings, there is no one answer. My personal stance is as follows.

Glass carboys give you a solid inner surface that is more difficult to scratch (which could hold bacteria) than plastic. They also allow you to see the fermentation/lagering in action. They are heavy, slightly difficult to clean, and have broke causing injury. When you mess up and accidentally freeze one, they can break. They are also a bit pricey compared to the alternatives.

Better Bottles (which I don’t own but I have a friend…) are cheaper than glass carboys but more than buckets. They can be frozen, dropped, or thrown at neighborhood miscreants and not break. They are still clear allowing you to see the action. Better bottles have some unique better bottle specific components. They are lighter than glass carboys.

Buckets are cheaper, light, won’t shatter and cause you to lose an arm. They are easily cleaned. They can be scratched. The two I have are much larger around than a carboy therefore limiting the number I can fit in my fermenter.

My $0.02. Hope it helps.

I have used pails and carboys.

I currently use carboys or glass jugs. My reasoning:

- I can put in the airlock and stopper and keep nasties out. Be they crawlies or fruit flies, they are around and the smaller the entrance to the beer the better, in my eyes.
- cleaners and brushes make carboys easy to keep clean
- I am mindful of hot liquids into glass
- I cover when fermenting to keep out light
- The carboy fits nicely into a pail of cold water for a swamp cooler.
- pails easily scratch

When I get older and am unable to move a full carboy then I'll probably switch to something else. In the meantime, I'm for the glass.

B

This is a big debate, so expect a lot of strongly differing opinions, but the reality is this:

They will all work.

I myself use better bottles, but as I get less nooby and patient, I will probably start buying buckets for the pipeline since they're cheaper and I don't really need to see what's going on inside. I am not about big heavy glass carboys- I've already dropped a full better bottle, and was glad it bounced instead of shattered. Anything you fill with lots of liquid and work with wet more often than not shouldn't be able to sever your femoral artery, IMO.

As for scratching? I consider it a complete non-issue, though people make a big deal about it. Why do I not care? Because a soak in hot oxyclean will remove ANYTHING you can stick to your fermentors. I've never had to scrub anything ever, and don't suspect I will. I don't see many other was you could scratch the INSIDE of your fermentor without trying to scrub it.

Like I said though, the ONLY differences are personal preference. They will all work great to make tasty beer.

You might consider these: Speidel Plastic Tanks | MoreBeer

They are a hybrid of both. For those concerned with extended aging on the yeast lees you can use a wedge and rack the lees/trub off through the spigot, kind of like a conical.

You are also not limited to just 3/5/6 gallons with this option.

Just another variable to throw in the mix!!!!

Think historically....the equipment we use, even just a plastic pail with lid and airlock, exceeds the capability of the vast majority of brewing history.

This is a big debate, so expect a lot of strongly differing opinions, but the reality is this:

They will all work.
I don't really need to see what's going on inside. I am not about big heavy glass carboys- I've already dropped a full better bottle, and was glad it bounced instead of shattered. Anything you fill with lots of liquid and work with wet more often than not shouldn't be able to sever your femoral artery, IMO.

As for scratching? I consider it a complete non-issue, though people make a big deal about it. Why do I not care? Because a soak in hot oxyclean will remove ANYTHING you can stick to your fermentors. I've never had to scrub anything ever, and don't suspect I will. I don't see many other was you could scratch the INSIDE of your fermentor without trying to scrub it.

Like I said though, the ONLY differences are personal preference. They will all work great to make tasty beer.

This.
I use buckets and scratching will never be an issue because the only thing I use to clean them is a sponge. IMO, glass seems cool to watch but after you do a few batches you find that you really don't care to watch the action.
I do have (2) 5 gal carboys but only use them for adding fruit to beer and making apfelwein, cider, and hard lemonade since you don't need to cover these last three, they do not ferment hard, and 5 gal. is really too small for primary fermentation anyway.
You would want at least a 6 gal. and I could buy 3 buckets for the cost of a 6 gal. glass carboy
Although, one thing I would recommend if you choose to use glass is a brew hauler carry strap.

I have both but prefer the buckets. They are easier to move, clean and store. Sure it is cool to watch the fermentation but otherwise buckets are just easier.

I do use my carboy more for brews that need a lot of time, only because I don't want the tie up my buckets for too long. The 5 gallon carboys work for cider or the occasional 4 gallon batch.

Whatever works for and whatever you prefer, go with it.

They will all work.

I myself use better bottles, but as I get less nooby and patient, I will probably start buying buckets for the pipeline since they're cheaper and I don't really need to see what's going on inside. I am not about big heavy glass carboys- I've already dropped a full better bottle, and was glad it bounced instead of shattered. Anything you fill with lots of liquid and work with wet more often than not shouldn't be able to sever your femoral artery, IMO.

AMEN. i have never looked into my pails checking for scratches and i've never had an infected batch. i don't doubt that a microbe can hide out in a scratch but sometimes it seems like people are all in a panic, ready to burn their scratched bucket at the stake. i thoroughly clean my pails, which i'm sure are probably thick with scratches and i have not had a wild bug out compete my yeast yet.

I also use buckets. Never used a carboy. I do like how you can see what is going on without popping the top but that is really the only advantage for me. Buckets are lighter, cheaper, easier to clean, no funnel needed, easier to take gravity reading and buckets usually have more head space so a blow off tube usually isn't needed...

The two big ones are cheaper and lighter. Cleaning you can buy a carboy cleaner to attach to your drill. Funneling really isn't that bad. If you have a wine thief taking gravity readings ar easy.

You might consider these: Speidel Plastic Tanks | MoreBeer

They are a hybrid of both. For those concerned with extended aging on the yeast lees you can use a wedge and rack the lees/trub off through the spigot, kind of like a conical.

You are also not limited to just 3/5/6 gallons with this option.

Just another variable to throw in the mix!!!!

Think historically....the equipment we use, even just a plastic pail with lid and airlock, exceeds the capability of the vast majority of brewing history.

i have a 30L speidel tank and they really are well made. the plastic is harder than the plastic used for ale pails even though i think both are HDPE (the speidels are anyway). there is a thread here about the tanks. they are sold out at morebeer and they are the only retailer that carries them as far as i know.

I have used a single bucket for 6 years now. Always cleaned it out with a brush that you would use for dishes. Nothing too abrasive. I don't see any visual scratches and have not had any infection problems. I recently bought a better bottle because I wanted to try something different but have not used it yet so we will see how I like it.

I did get a glass carboy at a yard sale for $10 and tried it once. It scared the crap out of me. Maybe it is because I brew outside on cement and then walk it across our tile house to a spare bedroom to brew and then across the tile again to the kitchen to transfer to a keg/bottle. The glass is very slippery when wet and 5 gallons of beer weighs about 40 pounds. I just kept thinking of reading stories about people ending up with torn ligaments and all kinds of injuries from shattering glass. To me it is just not worth it. I am going to be giving the carboy away.

Latest posts

Back