carboy vs plastic pail for primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valvefan

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have made 3 batches of beer now and I'm having a great time.

I have noticed that a lot of experienced brewers use a glass or PET carboy as a primary fermentation vessel.

What are the pros and cons of using a carboy vs a plastic pale with a lid for primary fermentation?

How big a carboy is needed for 5.5 gallon batches?

Thanks!

5.5 can be a lil much for primary in a regular 6 gal carboy, but with a blowoff tube i'm sure its fine.. i use both, havent noticed a diff.. i just use carboy when i want to watch things happening int here.. people think i'm crazy when im just sitting there starring at a glass jug.. but then i tell them to look closer and they to are hypnotized by the goings on of the yeast!!!

1) In reality a fermenter is a fermenter is a fermenter.....glass, plastic, carboy, bucket, jerry can, keg, milk jug, ceramic crock, glass hurricane jar, stainless steel or plastic conicals, pet food storage vessels (vittle vaults), HD or Lowe's buckets, frosting buckets, water jugs, the old Mr Beer jug...All of those and anything you can think of, all work perfectly fine, and have been used by hundreds if not thousands of brewers...

No one type is better or worse than any other...good beer or crappy beer can be made in all of them, dependant onthe brewer, NOT what it's fermented in...

It's really just a matter of preference, nothing more....There's tons of arguments about glass vs plastic and whatever, but they're nothing more than internet masturbation....the yeast don't give a crap what kind of container the wort it is swimming in.

It really isn't rocket science, it's really about using what works for you.

It won't have an "impact" on the beer one bit.

2) I like a minimum of 1 gallon headspace in my primary fermentors. For a 5 gallon batch I like a minimum 6 gallon vessel or larger. In terms of carboys, plastic better bottles come in 6 gallons and iirc glass carboys are 6.5 gallon.

Personally if I were doing a 5.5 gallon I would go with a 6.5 gallon. But I do 5 gallon batches. So a six is fine.

If you're in doubt, use a blowoff tube instead of an airlock.

Hi All,

I have made 3 batches of beer now and I'm having a great time.

I have noticed that a lot of experienced brewers use a glass or PET carboy as a primary fermentation vessel.

What are the pros and cons of using a carboy vs a plastic pale with a lid for primary fermentation?

How big a carboy is needed for 5.5 gallon batches?

Thanks!

Glass Carboy
Pros - Can see what's going on
Cons - Heavy, prone to breakage, hard to clean

Better bottle (PET)
Pros - Light, cheaper
Cons - moderately hard to clean

Bucket
Pros - Very cheap, very easy to clean
Cons - Can't see what's going on, more prone to gas leakage than carboys

Glass Carboy
Pros - Does not scratch (helpful against infection), doesn't hold smells, easy to clean for me, impervious to oxygen
Cons - Heavy, most expensive, can break and be dangerous if it does

Better bottle (PET)
Pros - Light, cheaper than glass
Cons - moderately hard to clean, can scratch

Bucket
Cons - Can scratch which could lead to potential infections, can't see fermentation

Greenbasterd,

I love watching the yeast do its thing too!

I enjoy the fact that beer is alive.

Better than most shows on TV.

Valvefan

I didn't see it above, but other than what BeerDoctor5 says, the bucket is easier to dry hop if using bags of hops or loose whole hops(you don't wanna try that in a carboy. Pellets just pour down the neck of a carboy, so it's easy. I started dry hopping in the keg when using whole hops, so not a problem for me.

Oh, and in case you are wondering why I'm dry hopping in a primary, for many of us, the secondary doesn't exist, except for aging barleywines and the last. You just dump dry hops in the primary about the same time you'd be moving to secondary.

I think one thing that no one has pointed out is that if you ever want to get into yeast harvesting it is easier to do out of a bucket by just skimming it from the top rather than rinsing it from the bottom of a carboy.

Fixed this:

Glass Carboy
Pros - Can see what's going on
Cons - Heavy, prone to breakage, hard to clean And dangerous. Look up the threads of injuries and even a death!

Better bottle (PET)
Pros - Light, cheaper
Cons - moderately hard to clean Wrong - easy to clean. soak with Oxyclean then with about 1/2 gallon of water insert a washcloth and swirl it around.

Bucket
Cons - Can't see what's going on, more prone to gas leakage than carboys. Without a tool the lid is a PITA to remove.

Fixed this:

Right, but the point is, with a bucket I can just scrub it with a brush and be done in 10 seconds. No soak or anything. Is a BB "hard" to clean? No.

I would still rate it glass carboy>BB>bucket in terms of effort and time to clean.

Glass plastic
You can scrub glass with something that might ruin plastic no problem(why if you soak IDK)
If you put glass on a cold floor and fill with hot water it will break(ok not every time), plastic wont
Buckets have a handle and is more convenient to store

None of this matter in a primary fermenter(exept preference)
For long aging in secondary(more then a few months) you have to consider oxygen permeabilety
Glass none, BB little, bucket some(BB would be best to simulate barrel aging with oak chips/cubes)

Just get both and don't worry about it. For regular brews I use plastic. For lagers, high gravity brews, or anything that will require long aging periods I use glass. Problem solved

Thanks everyone,

I have a bucket that I have been using for primary and a glass carboy for secondary.

I'll continue this for now. The plastic bucket is super easy to clean with a soft cloth.

Valvefan

Back