Carboy timetabe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
I brewed a red ale a 13 days ago. Starting gravity was 1.061 and finish gravity was 1.015. On tuesday I checked and the gravity was already down to 1.015. I am about to check it again and if it is still down at 1.015 is there any reason I can't stick this in a keg tonight or should I wait another week? I am planning on letting it age a moth in a keg.

I don't see any reason why you shouldnt. As you've eluded to if you have a steady FG reading fermentation is complete then absolutley...get it in the keg and let it chill.

If you have a steady Gravity you are ok moving it to the keg. The only reason I know of to leave it in the fermenter is to allow for more stuff to drop to the cake at the bottom and clear up the beer. If your going to leave it in the keg for a month that will still happen and you will just end up with the first mug or two being yeasty maybe.

-Stanley

13-14 days is plenty of time in primary and on the yeast cake for most standard OG brews, as long as the gravity has been stable for a couple days. I know there are many on HBT who like to go 4 weeks, but I find 12-14 days to be a sweet spot for most of my beers where I notice little or no change in the beer beyond that point. I then age it for a bit in keg and then carb. Moving it to keg also frees up the fermentor for something else.

What about leaving the yeast to clean-up after fermentation?

Is there a time-frame to leave the product in the fermentation chamber?

For example, my Indian Brown finished fermenting about a week ago. It's been on the yeast cake and settling since. Are there benefits to leaving it alone for another few weeks vs. kegging and chilling?

Back