carboy storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALPS

Reaction score
Today my ESB goes into mini kegs,leaving my glass carboy empty till next weekend.

what is the best way to store the carboy for the next week? Leave it open to air out or fill it with bleach water?

Either way. What works best for you?

I've purchased dolly's from Menards just for my brew (under $15.00).

I disassembled, re-measured, and cut them to accommodate the size of 2 cases.

I also had to put several 1" boards on top of the cross members to fill it in so the base is flat. (I know someone out there knows what I'm talking about here.) Then I re-covered them in a light carpet materiel like the stuff that's in the car trunk that I found in a recyle bin. I'm going to switch that out with a rubber, non-slippery surface. Maybe I'll just size it, cut it, and nail it into place, I could glue it down, but it'll probably come up on the edges.

Most of my plastic cases are German (racks) so the size differs from American cases. With a 2-case base I can actually stack the cases 4-5 high, or up to about 600 lbs.

I store my carboys in milk crates with several layers of cardboard in the bottom. I made 2 dolly's the size of 2 milk crates (side-by-side).

You can't stack carboys this way, but at least you can transport (push) 2 carboys full of bleach water (or secondaries full of brew) without straining your back. :D

I also have one for my 55# boxes of DME. Since I have 5 boxes (2 unopened at this time) these come in very handy and save my back. I can slide my malt out of the storage area and into my brewing kitchen where I measure it out and such.

You could also just soak your carboy in bleach water overnight, drain it, then place aluminum foil over the top. It'll stay disinfected for up to a year that way...or so I've read. I do this to my empty bottles (and I have over 30 cases) after drying them on a bottle tree. When you get ready to use just rinse out as you would normally. :D

Back