Carboy Question not found in search

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheelsonfire

Reaction score
Ok, at the risk of ridicule I will post this after a search attempt.

I am a noob and just brewed my first oatmeal stout and am starting a honey wheat. The stout is bottled and the wheat is in the primary.
I have a glass carboy as a secondary but was not going to use it for the honey wheat. Can I use it as a primary for another batch?

Thanks and sorry for being an idiot.

You can use it for primary or secondary. Many of us don't secondary our beers just leave them in the primary for 3 weeks. I only use glass for extended secondaries (like mead). Others use exclusively glass. If its large enough use it. You gotta get that pipeline full.:)

Sure can! If it is a 5 gallon (assuming you brew 5gal batches) you'll want to attach a blow off tube instead of an airlock. If it's a 6gal carboy (or bigger than your batch size) then you can just put a normal airlock on it.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be making a run to Austin Homebrew for some ingredients. I'm getting impatient waiting on the bottles and need something to do. I know it's worth the wait, but I hate waiting. Damn!:)

Sure can! If it is a 5 gallon (assuming you brew 5gal batches) you'll want to attach a blow off tube instead of an airlock. If it's a 6gal carboy (or bigger than your batch size) then you can just put a normal airlock on it.

It depends on the types of yeast you use. Some will still blow off an airlock in a 6.5 gallon carboy.

It depends on the types of yeast you use. Some will still blow off an airlock in a 6.5 gallon carboy.

i have a 6 gal carboy that i haven't used yet, but was going to do a pumpkin ale from austin homebrew in this. it has an OG of 1.050 (i think) but whenever i order a kit from them, i opt for the 1% alcohol boost. would it be safer to use a blow off tube for this batch, or do you think i could get away w/ an airlock?

i have a 6 gal carboy that i haven't used yet, but was going to do a pumpkin ale from austin homebrew in this. it has an OG of 1.050 (i think) but whenever i order a kit from them, i opt for the 1% alcohol boost. would it be safer to use a blow off tube for this batch, or do you think i could get away w/ an airlock?

If you're using pumpkin in there, you'll want to adjust the recipe so the volume in primary is 6 gallons, since there will be about 1 gallon of trub with the pumpkin in there, so, yes, I would use the blowoff tube.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be making a run to Austin Homebrew for some ingredients. I'm getting impatient waiting on the bottles and need something to do. I know it's worth the wait, but I hate waiting. Damn!:)

Damn. Someone lives close enough to Austin Homebrew to actually say "making a run to Austin Homebrew..." I'm certifiably jealous.

Cheers,
Michael

Don't use a 5 gallon carboy as a primary unless you want to lose about a gallon of beer. If you have a healthy fermentation you might lose more. If you have an unhealthy fermentation you may only lose 1/2 gallon.

I recommend 7 or 8 gallons for a primary.
Forrest

Damn. Someone lives close enough to Austin Homebrew to actually say "making a run to Austin Homebrew..." I'm certifiably jealous.

Cheers,
Michael

OH, That is just one of the many perks of living in Austin, Texas. I discovered Austin Homebrew on my way home from work about a month ago. I have been hooked ever since.
This message board has only fueled the obsession.
Thanks to you all.:tank:

Don't use a 5 gallon carboy as a primary unless you want to lose about a gallon of beer. If you have a healthy fermentation you might lose more. If you have an unhealthy fermentation you may only lose 1/2 gallon.

I recommend 7 or 8 gallons for a primary.
Forrest
So, in your basic beginner kit is the plastic bucket 6-7 gallons? I think my total cost was around $130 with the glass carboy. Does that mean I have a 5 gallon carboy?

Five gallon carboy is fine to use as a secondary but is too small for a primary. This is because there isn't enough head space in a five gallon carboy to allow for the krausen (the froth that forms on top of a fermenting wort) and it will end up pushing through the airlock or out the blow-off hose. It's possible to lose a gallon of beer this way and makes one hell of a mess. Many kits include a five gallon carboy but it's intended as a secondary, not a primary, for five gallon batches.

Back