Carboy Purchase Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UNOmar

Reaction score
I plan on purchasing a carboy on my way home from work tonight to use as a secondary. I can't decide what size to get. For the purpose of a secondary I'm thinking 5Gal, but I might want to use it as a primary at some point which has me leaning towards the 6~6.5Gal.
How big of a difference does the extra headspace make in terms of oxidation? Right now I use the standard 7Gal bucket (Ale Pail) and it has/is working fine.
Aside from being able to view your beer during fermentation, what are the advantages of using a carboy as a primary?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'd buy the 5 gallon one if you want to have the option of using it as both a primary and a secondary. 5 gallons is better for a secondary because of the reduced head-space.

5 gallons will work for a primary, too, but you'll probably want to use a blow-off tube on it as a primary.

-walker

i dont think head space is an issue of oxidation, im assuming there is a blanket of co2 on top of the beer, and is always escaping. But im not sure...(dont quote me on that) i just use a 6.5g for primary, and a 5 for secondary, but i dont think there would be a problem.

the advantages i see with glass is its easy to clean,doesnt stain, and dosent scatch like plastic (giving microbes hiding spots)therefore lasts longer. (indefinitelty if you take care of it)

this topic is a hot one though, youll shortly find brewers comeing out of the woodwork supporting there 50 year old plastic buckets and what not, but they both work. (i just think the cool quotient is much higher with glass) and ive never gotten an infection with glass, and i have with plastic...so personnally i like glass...

get the six gallon baby... it serves as both primary and secondary, and most five gallon carboys i've seen have those silly square patterns on them and the yeast and trub collects along those ridges.

t1master said:
get the six gallon baby... it serves as both primary and secondary, and most five gallon carboys i've seen have those silly square patterns on them and the yeast and trub collects along those ridges.

I thought those ridges were only on the OUTSIDE (ie; the inside is smooth)?

maybe I'm wrong, but I've never noticed anything collecting on the inside of my 5 gallon carboys.

-walker

yeah i noticed that the yeast and hop particulates can get hung up alittle on those 'ridges', i think they are raised on the outside, and indented on the inside, its really just an annoyance more than a problem. i would rather my 5 g. be as smooth as a prom qeens thighs so-to-speak but what are ya gonna do?

Wow, my bad. I guess I didn't search very well. Thanks for the replies and I apologize to the powers that be.

Walker said:
I thought those ridges were only on the OUTSIDE (ie; the inside is smooth)?

maybe I'm wrong, but I've never noticed anything collecting on the inside of my 5 gallon carboys.

-walker

That's what I thought too, but my last batch proved otherwise. I had some "settling" collect on the inside of where these ridges are on my last batch.

loop

t1master said:

Ditto here, I bought the 6.5 thinking that at some point I can use it as a primary down the road.

loop

I use 6.5 gal for both primary and secondary, sometimes my brews run a bit over 5 gal ,what am I supposed to do throw it away?? No way, I'm going to ferment it all, a couple of bottles or so extra is good for me.
It may be a bit weaker but I'll wager you or I can't tell it.

I wouldn't bother with the straight 6g with option to primary in it. May as well go with the 6.5g then for the extra headspace. I have a 6 and wish I never purchased it. I'll use it for either pri/sec but will always use my 6.5 over the 6 to primary in if available. Less blow-off chances. 5's are good for secondarys just cuz they're smaller; can tuck away easier. My opinion.

I use 6.5 gal carboys, 5 gal carboys, and 6 gallon buckets. The buckets will only be used as primary fermenters when the carboys are full. The 6.5 carboys are used as primary and secondary fermenters. The 5 gal carboys are only used as secondaries. All of my ferments have a blow off tube and even with a 6.5 gal carboy, I will get foam in the line. IMHO I would go with the 6.5 gal carboy

If you are looking for a secondary I would get the 5g. Later down the road if you want to get the 6.5 for a primary you can get it then. IMHO we're not talking major purchases here. A 6.5 goes for like 20 bucks. And you got something great from primaries right now (your bucket). If you want another reason to stick to the bucket... they seem to be a lot easier to clean as a primary then carboys.

Allright, so the consensus seems to be get the 5Gal now for a secondary and later, if I decide, get the 6.5Gal for a primary. Sounds good. I'm on my way as we speak. Thanks alot guys!

Back