carboy issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insnekamkze86

Reaction score
I am trying to clean my better bottle carboy which is 6 gallons to make mead and it has **** stuck on the bottom on it it looks likes brown grains of something but can't tell what it is I have used oxiclean to clean bottle then followed that up with easy clean but they r still stick to the bottom of carboy was wondering what to do or can I ferment on top of it

That's what I thought so I did dual cleaning on It but the grains are still there worst part is i dont remember if i fermented on it before as well meaing they have been there for a while i don't have the funds to replace It n my other carboys lid is stuck n cant get it off Its a plastic twist on its like it has loc tight on it I tried posting a pic but for some reason my phone isn't letting me do it but its exactly like rice grains but arent

What kind of answer are you looking for? Someone to tell you it is OK to ferment in a dirty carboy? Probably not going to happen.

CLEAN IT!

If you use a dirty carboy you are risking an infection, plain and simple.

If hot oxyclean solution doesn't work try some PBW. Let it soak over night.

I don't see how you could have stuff on the bottom of your BB unless you put it away dirty and crud hardened inside.

Please use punctuation next time. You will receive more thoughtful responses if you put a minimal amount effort into your posts.

Wow thanks someone pissed in you cherrios I was trying to say i have cleaned it n sanitized it and still have stuff on bottom of it guess I have to keep cleaning it was trying to see how to get rid of it
I was stating what I have done since people get pissed that you don't day certain things

Its common sense that you don't use a dirty carboy for alcohol or anything
and you clean it that how's you don't get sick a monky knows that
was I clear this time about my post

Nobody "pissed in my cheerios."

If you clean something, it is clean when you are finished. If you sanitize something, it is sanitized when you are finished. You did not clean or sanitize your BB, you attempted to, unsuccessfully.

I actually gave you some useful advise in suggesting that you use some PBW, which in my experience is more effective than Oxyclean.

Maybe if you had the reading comprehension of a "monky" you would have realized I gave you helpful advise(in regards to a product you might have more success with and on how to receive more helpful responses in the future).

"was wondering what to do or can I ferment on top of it" - from you OP

"Its common sense that you don't use a dirty carboy for alcohol or anything
and you clean it that how's you don't get sick a monky knows that" - from your response

Thank you for ur advise but a simple answer would of been fine instead of what u did you could of said that its not clean enough and to try using some pbw since u had good experience with it
Not give me a lecture about how I asked a question to fix a problem

Texans never did liked sarcasm anyways this was blown out portion I will try and use some pbw and see if it cleans the carboy good day

Ok. The best thing to do is soak it. And PBW is a good idea.

But, sometimes the way we present information to other people is less informative than we think. I've never seen anything get so stuck that it couldn't be soaked out.

And FWIW, if it seems necessary to insult someone it's just better to not post anything and move on.

Oh and my whole family lives in texas I just work in vegas, I still like sarcasm as anyone who is a fan of Ron White can attest to.

I wasnt insulting anybody its called sarcasm not my fault people take it the wrong way but u are right if ur going to insult someone dont do anything
Thank you double for your response

don't use a carboy brush because it is going to scratch the plastic in your better bottle so i think the best solution is an overnight soak with either PBW or oxiclean with some hot tap water when you are done drain it and put a damp washcloth inside and shake and swirl it violently to knock anything stubborn out

i don't know why threads have to turn into the *****bag grand championships so often

don't use a carboy brush because it is going to scratch the plastic in your better bottle so i think the best solution is an overnight soak with either PBW or oxiclean with some hot tap water when you are done drain it and put a damp washcloth inside and shake and swirl it violently to knock anything stubborn out

i don't know why threads have to turn into the *****bag grand championships so often

nice lack of punctuation & caps there bobby :D lol but great advice :mug::tank:

Thanks for all the responses I currently having it soaking in easy clean which probably won't clear up the problem. What I'm going to do is dump that out and maybe save some for other equipment then re fill it with oxiclean since I don't have any pbw or access to it. Let it soak it overnight and hope it knocks it lose off the bottom of the carboy.

I know I fermented on it before with grains stuck on bottom of the carboy after oxiclean n easy clean and didn't get sick but would like to get rid of the grains completey, so I'm going to do another run of oxiclean and let it soak last time I just did a wash and rinse

I have soak the carboy in warm water n and five scopes of oxiclean for two days and it got the **** off the bottom of the carboy but theres one grain still stuck to the side of the carboy.
Should I be good to re santize or do I need to soak it again w cleaner again?

This is why I use glass; never has anything been stuck on my carboys that I couldn't get off with a 10 minute soak with Oxyclean and a little scrub.

BUT, since you do use plastic and you have some crud stuck on the bottom, I recommend using something plastic that will not scratch your bottle (mash paddle handle, long spoon handle etc.) to get inside the bottle and scrape it off. If you do it while it is soaking it will make it that much easier.

You can slip a sock over the end of a carboy brush and go to town on your Better Bottle. That would do the trick in about 30 seconds.

K Kol don't have a brush usually able to soak n rinse n be good to go I will soak again I'm low on cleaner n have no sanitizer left so I have to order more though five large scopes would be good enough might have to six this time lol

K Kol don't have a brush usually able to soak n rinse n be good to go I will soak again I'm low on cleaner n have no sanitizer left so I have to order more though five large scopes would be good enough might have to six this time lol

Please use punctuation next time. You will receive more thoughtful responses if you put a minimal amount effort into your posts.

Seriously. I'm sorry, but I have to comment again. As brewers, we're part chemists, part biologists, part artists, and part story tellers. If you are going to avail yourself of the privilege of seeking input from a community of brewers dedicated to helping one another make exceptionally good beer, the least you could do is:

• Write in complete sentences.
  • Use punctuation appropriately. Heck, using it at all would be an improvement.
  • Use and spell words correctly. "K," "Kol," and "n" are not words. "Scopes" does not mean the same thing as "scoops." Nobody on this board LOLs while asking questions or submitting replies. You shouldn't, either.
  • Only ask questions if you actually want an answer based on reality. Don't ask us how to clean your carboy if you don't want a truthful answer.

Thank you.

Wow I guess you hit the nail on the head there
I guess I am asking to waste peoples time on this forum, thanks for pointing that out to me
I'll make sure I get a masters degree next time I want to post a new thread about something hear
Not everything has to be politically correct and yes I spelt scoops wrong sorry do you want a medal for that

All I'm saying is that maybe you can write as if you're addressing a group of adults rather than texting your younger brother's ex-girlfriend about her plans for the weekend. I don't think that requires a Master's degree.

I am trying to clean my better bottle carboy which is 6 gallons to make mead and it has **** stuck on the bottom on it it looks likes brown grains of something but can't tell what it is I have used oxiclean to clean bottle then followed that up with easy clean but they r still stick to the bottom of carboy was wondering what to do or can I ferment on top of it

Put about two cups of coarsely crushed ice in your Better Bottle, and swirl it around until the crud's gone. May have to repeat several times if the crud's really stuck on.

I was saying thank you and directing it towards someone you really going to complain about that.
How I'd screw that one up Einstein explain that to me

Put about two cups of coarsely crushed ice in your Better Bottle, and swirl it around until the crud's gone. May have to repeat several times if the crud's really stuck on.

Thank you hbngnok

You're welcome. Technique also works well to clean the plastic coolant over-flow tank on your motorcycle :D .

Fred

I was finally able to get the carboy clean, and there is no residue left over; only took forever.
It's almost done drying all I need now is to have it sanitized and i will be all set to go.
Once I can get some santizer I will starting brewing again thank you for all the replies

Back