Carboy for Primary - Gallon Marks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonepalm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know this may sound redundant. But i wanted to use my glass carboy as the primary for my next batch this weekend. Was thinking on my first brew, that i topped it off to 5 gallons after boil/cool was done. As well as filling it with 2 gallons to only boil 3 as it was first go round.

The bucket is clearly marked by the gallon, but carboy isn't.

Think I am just going to have to create my own with a sharpie and a gallon of water at a time.

yeah?

I went and bought some of that glass etch stuff (Michaels) and taped off my carboy at 1/2 gallon marks (longer ones for the gallons) and painted on the glass etch, let it set then wiped off. Works great.

My sharpie rubbed off. I used packaging tape and a 1/2 post-it note thinking the tape could fully cover - and waterproof - the paper but some water has gotten under and I have to replace them...

I have a crafts store near by; I may try the aforementioned glass etch stuff.

I used a Sharpie, but if that wears off I know my mark is at the bottom of the first bumped out ring on my 6 gal Better Bottle.

I put a piece of tape at the 5 gallon mark. That is the only number I am concerned about right now.

I have one of those really nice label makers that writes on the plastic tape. I put a dash mark at the beginning and end of every gallon like this -3 gallons- and cleaned and dried good before applying them with the dash on the measured mark. It looks sharp and those labels stick real good.

I like the label maker idea....

Thanks everyone!

2nd Batch this weekend! Half Moon Belgian Wit(figured the wife would enjoy hobby more if i brew something she will drink)!!!!!

Those thick paint markers work pretty good. They have them at most art stores...but locked up to keep graffiti kids out.

Back