Carboy carrier vs handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmart84

Reaction score
I want to invest in something to make it easier for my to carry my carboys full of home brew. Lifting it out of the converted chest freezer I use to cold crash is quite laborious and I'm concerned one of these days, I'll have a broken carboy and even worse, spoiled home brew. I have been doing research, and have come across the carboy handles that fit on the top, and the carboy carrier that uses straps. Does anyone have any recommendations for transporting heavy carboys?

Don't use a carboy handle for carrying full carboys. It can snap the neck off. They are only good for schlepping empty carboys.

The strap-type carrier (Brew Hauler), would be a better bet. I have one--works great. Or a good sturdy milk crate (not the cheap ones).

I don't think they recommend either of those for full carboys. I could be wrong.

I use those plastic milk crates from home depot http://t.homedepot.com/p/GSC-Techno...13-in-Black-Milk-Crate-MC131311-002/204793156
Work great.

Also, if you aerate by shaking they make it really easy to aerate. Just place the carboy in the crate, tip it on the corner of the crate and shake it back and forth all day long, no sweat. (Use both hands if glass carboy... Or maybe just don't shake glass carboys)

That's a really nice design. Have you used it to transport full carboys??

I use the strap type carrier and even with that I get a little nervous. I stopped using my glass carboy and got a plastic one. When full it's still so much lighter then the glass carboy. I'm also getting the milk crate as it appears to be the way to go in carry carboys.

It makes a lot of sense. Milk crates it is! Thanks for all the input

I don't think they recommend either of those for full carboys. I could be wrong.

I use those plastic milk crates from home depot http://t.homedepot.com/p/GSC-Techno...13-in-Black-Milk-Crate-MC131311-002/204793156
Work great.

Also, if you aerate by shaking they make it really easy to aerate. Just place the carboy in the crate, tip it on the corner of the crate and shake it back and forth all day long, no sweat. (Use both hands if glass carboy... Or maybe just don't shake glass carboys)

The Brew Haulers are rated to hold 100 lbs, so a full carboy is fine to lift.

Be careful with the milk crates. I don't see any specs on weight limit of those HD crates, so they might be fine, but the ones I saw on Grainger's website have a noted limit of 40 lbs.

5 gallons of water weighs 41.5 lbs, for comparison. Wort is obviously heavier than water, and most people have more than that in their carboy too. You should also include the weight of the carboy itself. All together, you're at 50 or more lbs.

YMMV

The Brew Haulers are rated to hold 100 lbs, so a full carboy is fine to lift.

Be careful with the milk crates. I don't see any specs on weight limit of those HD crates, so they might be fine, but the ones I saw on Grainger's website have a noted limit of 40 lbs.

5 gallons of water weighs 41.5 lbs, for comparison. Wort is obviously heavier than water, and most people have more than that in their carboy too. You should also include the weight of the carboy itself. All together, you're at 50 or more lbs.

YMMV

Thanks for the info. A limited google search shows capacity ratings for most of these milk crates to be about 40lbs.

I'm comfortable with the ones I picked up from homedepot, but I'm also phasing out my glass.

Has anyone had the bottom fall out of one of these milk crates before? Or heard of it happening?

Been using milk crates for a few years with no problems. They are real milk crates that I have picked up in rentals that I take care of & seem to be a bit stronger than the ones at HD.

I hate glass carboys. I use 'em, but I hate them. When handling them I don't like to rely on handles or straps. That's just another thing to fail. I wear Kevlar gloves to get a good hand on it. I wear a bomb-squad suit over a dog bite suit. I also wear a condom for a little extra protection.

I really need to get a Better Bottle or big mouth.

I recently bought Carboy Covers. They do a nice job. They give your carboy a nice dressed up look while protecting your beer and you. Your beer from light and you from the potential cuts that could be sustained if your break em.

I've had plenty of things in milk crates, from full carboys to stacks of hand weights. Well over 40 lbs and never had a failure. Ymmv, but I'll continue to use them without worrying.

Latest posts

Back