Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewno

Reaction score
How long should it take to carbonate a brew? Generally my batches have carbonated withing 10 days although taking longer to condition and taste good.

My current batch has been bottled for 13 days and although it tastes great, has no carbonation or head. OG was 1.088 and FG was 1.022. yeast= Wyeast 1056 and primed with 3/4 cup corn sugar .

I planned on 4 weeks conditioning for this brew but thought that it would at least carbonate within 2 weeks.

There are several threads listed with the title "carbonation" and several hundred with the someone shouting "carbonation = 21 days at 70°" so I'm not sure how you missed it.

3 weeks is the way to go. Now that its gotten cooler up here in NE some of my beers are taking a lot longer than three weeks to carb up.

There are several threads listed with the title "carbonation" and several hundred with the someone shouting "carbonation = 21 days at 70°" so I'm not sure how you missed it.

Yea how could I have missed it. :confused:
On the many forums I've been on I seem to notice that there are always those who sit and wait, like vultures, to pounce of anyone who makes a mistake or rubs them the wrong way.

I can never understand why they act like woman and speak in sarcastic innuendo rather than saying what's really on their mind. Why not just say "use the search function *******."
I mean after all...that's what they really mean isn't it? What really amuses me is that , for all the sarcastic fools on the internet, when they meet you face to face, they are suddenly silent.

Thanks for the help. :)

Yea how could I have missed it. :confused:
On the many forums I've been on I seem to notice that there are always those who sit and wait, like vultures, to pounce of anyone who makes a mistake or rubs them the wrong way.

I can never understand why they act like woman and speak in sarcastic innuendo rather than saying what's really on their mind. Why not just say "use the search function *******."
I mean after all...that's what they really mean isn't it? What really amuses me is that , for all the sarcastic fools on the internet, when they meet you face to face, they are suddenly silent.

Thanks for the help. :)

No need to get your panties all in a bunch. It was simply being pointed out to you that there are probably 10 threads right below this one with the same exact question and answers. I didn't think she was out of line, since she didn't call you any names or anything. I don't know why you took offense, but I'm certain it wasn't her intention.

Yeah, I really hate it when we internet fools act like women. But, I can assure you that when we meet face to face, I would not be suddenly silent.
(Do you know how many of us ARE women, by the way?)

Anyway, one of the things that jumps out at me for this batch is the OG and the FG. I love using 1056, but I'm not sure that it'll have much "left" in it after attenuating over 73% and in an almost 9% brew. It may take 4-6 weeks to give you satisfactory carbonation, if you didn't add some fresh yeast when you bottled.

Ok, my mistake about the woman/man issue:eek: But my post stands. I have been around forums for many years on many different subjects. I am very aware of the search function and use it extensively. "Sometimes" I can't find exactly what I am looking for and other times I am looking for something a bit more specific as far as an answer. If "I" am asking the question then I have control over the follow up answers which usually lead to new questions. This is how I learn more.
So sometimes the search function isn't what I want. In this case, I already knew about the length of time for bottle conditioning and how many answers I would get about letting it sit longer etc. Based on past brews and how they carbonated and the difference in gravity and what not, and how this one was carbonating I wanted a little more info directly related to my question. Not the vagueness of past threads with "similar" problems.

My problem, and I have seen this (though not experienced it directly) on other forums, is with the condescending tone of certain posters. As is your an idiot and need to be guided by the hand. Sometimes there are better ways of saying things or dealing with other human beings.

And come on...even woman know how woman act:D Even they make fun of men who act like them....sarcastic, or saying yes when they mean no etc.

Ok, my mistake about the woman/man issue:eek: But my post stands. I have been around forums for many years on many different subjects. I am very aware of the search function and use it extensively. "Sometimes" I can't find exactly what I am looking for and other times I am looking for something a bit more specific as far as an answer. if "I" am asking the question then I have control over the follow up answers which usually lead to new questions. This is how I learn more.
So sometimes the search function isn't what I want. In this case, I already knew about the length of time for bottle conditioning and how many answers i would get about letting it sit longer etc. Based on past brews and how they carbonated and the difference in gravity etc and how this one was carbonating i wanted a little more info directly related to my question. Not the vagueness of past threads with "similar" problems.

My problem, and I have seen this (though not experienced it directly) on other forums, is with the condescending tone of certain posters. As is your an idiot and need to be guided by the hand. Sometimes there are better ways of saying things or dealing with other human beings.

And come on...even woman know how woman act:D Even they make fun of men who act like them....sarcastic, or saying yes when they mean no etc.

Well, if Nurmey was the type to "pounce" on people who ask questions, I wouldn't disagree with you. But, she is always helpful and knows her ****, too.

Anyway, let's get back on topic and say there, ok?

Anyway, one of the things that jumps out at me for this batch is the OG and the FG. I love using 1056, but I'm not sure that it'll have much "left" in it after attenuating over 73% and in an almost 9% brew. It may take 4-6 weeks to give you satisfactory carbonation, if you didn't add some fresh yeast when you bottled.

ok...so that was more or less what I was looking for. The higher gravity would warrant more time? Not that it just "won't' carbonate (due to 1056 not having the oomph so to speak), it just needs time?

I thought carbonation happened pretty quick and it was conditioning or the leveling out of flavors that took lonnger.

ok...so that was more or less what I was looking for. The higher gravity would warrant more time? Not that it just "won't' carbonate (due to 1056 not having the oomph so to speak), it just needs time?

Well, maybe. You're at over 73% attenuation, and the average is 75%, so it could be that the yeast is done. I still think, though, that with some time and warm temperatures that it'll carb up for you. Maybe gently roll them, just to raise the yeast off the bottom, and give them another two weeks.

The temp has dropped around here. the bottles are stored at around 62-65 degrees. That is what the brew fermented at...well it was warmer then..65-68

The temp has dropped around here. the bottles are stored at around 62-65 degrees. That is what the brew fermented at...well it was warmer then..65-68

If you can warm them somehow (a warm bathroom maybe?), that would help. I have a hard time in the winter getting them above 62, and it seems like it takes forever. It should still carb at a lower temp, but figure on doubling the time (with tired yeast, that could be 6-8 weeks).

Like Yoop said. give it some time. I've had brews that took a bit longer. Just had to be patient. I did have a similar brew, 1.08+ OG and finished about 1.02 using 1056 that just never came around. Did you make a starter for this one? I didn't with mine and I think the yeast was spent trying to ferment and I didn't have anything left for carbonation.

I didn't make a starter. I thought 1056 was pretty much a workhorse. Beersmith suggests storing at 52....go figure. I haven't put the heat on in my basement because I thought it would be too warm (75 degrees). I just rolled the bottles...oddly enough I see no sediment on the bottom. When I roll them and hold to a light I can see a sort of ghost in there. Like a gentle dust swirl reaching 1/4 into the bottle. But then again, my previous brews have all been fine and have had little or no sediment to speak of. Just a thin skimming and hard to see.
I think I'm a good siphoner:D

I have been around forums for many years on many different subjects. I am very aware of the search function and use it extensively. "Sometimes" I can't find exactly what I am looking for and other times I am looking for something a bit more specific as far as an answer. If "I" am asking the question then I have control over the follow up answers which usually lead to new questions. This is how I learn more.
So sometimes the search function isn't what I want.

I too, have been around different hobby forums for years and have found the general tendency that when I am a "newbie" I find the gristled veterans to be, let's just say, impatient, with beat to death topics. Then when I am one of those gristled veterans myself, I tend to get annoyed by the "newbies" asking the same old questions that have been covered in hundreds of threads.

The compromise I have reached is that when I am a newbie I try to not ask the same old questions again despite my strong inclinations to do so. Then, when I am a veteran, and no longer have patience to spoonfeed newbies, I just stop looking at the beginner's forums.

The most important thing, I find, is to foster a sense of comradeship, not illwill.

I too, have been around different hobby forums for years and have found the general tendency that when I am a "newbie" I find the gristled veterans to be, let's just say, impatient, with beat to death topics. Then when I am one of those gristled veterans myself, I tend to get annoyed by the "newbies" asking the same old questions that have been covered in hundreds of threads.

The compromise I have reached is that when I am a newbie I try to not ask the same old questions again despite my strong inclinations to do so. Then, when I am a veteran, and no longer have patience to spoonfeed newbies, I just stop looking at the beginner's forums.

The most important thing, I find, is to foster a sense of comradeship, not illwill.

Sort of like adults getting annoyed with kids doing the same things they did when they were younger huh? Is that right or is it just getting to a point where you think you are better or more knowledgeable, wise or a step above?
Tenure shouldn't breed impatience. You see things like this when rank is awarded. Suddenly the higher ranks look at the lower ranks like "Are you speaking to me? Do you realize how much I know and what rank I am? Don't ask me a question directly, go through the proper channels.

Forums are notoriously redundant....we have to live with that. I understand the frustration but there are better ways of approaching the situation than with a condescending and sarcastic remark.

I don't wish to beat this into the ground and was satisfied to let it go. I said all I had to say and made my point; it isn't that important. No need for explanations and attempts at quelling anything. My points stand as far as I'm concerned. I find many of the comments made on forums childish and laughable so I'm not upset (hard to tell from text right:)) I'm just making a point.

I suppose the forum is big enough where no one needs to even post anymore. There is enough information here that I"m sure we can all get by just using the search function. Maybe lurking is a good bet?

This place has been a great resource even though I don't post much. But in the couple of years I have been a member I have seen a change. It's slight, but being away for a year it is noticeable to me. Very slight but there none the less. A slight chip on a few posts. Not to me...just something I have noticed in my reading. Something I thought ( in the past) that distinguished this forum from many others. Don't let it fall prey. It's all about help.

Brewno. You have 362 posts on this forum, you are no newcomer here. What more can I say? 3 weeks is the consensus. Go with it.

edit: 363 posts.

I was actually going for 4 weeks minimum. You know how it is....I had to try one:D I expected it to be a bit unfinished (yet not green) but I expected carbonation...at leas some. After posting I grabbed another bottle and poured more aggressively (down the center rather than gently down the side) and got a 2 finger long lasting head. No bubbles...but head. It still tastes a bit too sweet and uncarbed but it is pretty drinkable. Then again it was drinkable at bottling time! It's just more drinkable now. It does need more conditioning though....much more. I turned some heat on. I'll see if I can get the temp to 70.

See....There are details to this that I couldn't get through a search. There are answers that (for me) require new questions. Thus my starting a new thread.

I don't want to come off like a sh@thead, but if you've been around for 364 posts, then how come you haven't come upon this particular piece of information????

This is one of the questions that gets answered probably 2o-30 times a day on here...It's probably the most common issue/question asked and answered on here daily. I know I answered it at least 5 times today (simply by looking at the posts in my user's cp ) & I know I answered it 3 times in the last hour I was on here, between 5 & 6 EST....That's why we may get testy with having to repeat the same answers over an over when, indeed, had you or anyone either looked at the rest of the threads in this section...or did a search, you would have come upon several thread that answered this already....

But here, this explains the carbonation process, AND there's a nifty video that shows what happens during the 3 weeks minimumyour beer is in the bottle....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

And I can't understand your 'tude either....You jumped on Nurmey who was simply trying to help.......We don't work that way on this forum...and after 300+ posts you should have grasped that concept by now....

I suppose the forum is big enough where no one needs to even post anymore. There is enough information here that I"m sure we can all get by just using the search function. Maybe lurking is a good bet?

Well...if you are gonna ask the same basic process questions that we answer day in and day our without simply searching for that answer....then well, yeah....maybe lurking's the way to go....this place is huge...and for basic questions the info is already there, and only a search away....Like I said, this is prolly the most answered question on here...one would have to be pretty self absorbed not to have come upon one thread in which the words 3 weeks @ 70 was not mentioned.

I'd almost think that this defines your online persona...but I hope not...it doesn't really jibe with the generic vibe in this place.

main-chip.jpg

But if you do, I hope it's sour cream and onion....I love sour cream and onion chips...:D

Oddly enough I had already read that post you just linked to as well as watched that video. I'm sorry if I didn't know that your not allowed to ask a question that has already been answered here. I'm sure that if this wasn't the internet I would have been whipped and publicly humiliated.

Listen, I made a mistake ok....I'll give you that. I got lazy....I'm a bit fed up with the search function at times and 60% of the time don't find exactly what I'm looking for. BUT, a gentle nudging or a simple "have you done a search?....a similar question was asked earlier" or " I think there are some answers in the stickies." are all fine civil and understandable replies.

Things like:
one would have to be pretty self absorbed not to have come upon one thread in which the words 3 weeks @ 70 was not mentioned.

or

I'd almost think that this defines your online persona

Or this:

This:

Well...if you are gonna ask the same basic process questions that we answer day in and day our without simply searching for that answer....then well, yeah....maybe lurking's the way to go.

Revvy, I have read many of your posts here and to be perfectly honest I find them very informative and chock full of good ideas and tips. Good stuff.
"But" at the same time, I have also seen you take a "my **** don't stink" attitude with some, and a few of your responses to people here seemed to have that little bit of attitude to them. Just an observation.

I have never seen a forum that isn't redundant and they are all doomed to repeat themselves over and over. Mods can get annoyed but hey,...they took the job right? We are adults and shouldn't be treated like children (even if you decide we are acting like children).

My only "tude" was because I felt "tude" toward me for annoying the powers that be by slipping up. My only annoyance was because I, as an adult would have dealt with it a little better. Even if you had dealt with it 500 times already that day.....it goes with the territory.

My wires got crossed...I read the link you posted previously. I read other carb posts. I missed something....how? I don't know....stuff happens. I didn't appreciate being shot down for it. I think I have been a fairly quiet member here and I get most of my info through searching. (Note my join date and limited posts). I goofed this time.....I felt I was treated poorly after that like some new kid on the block. Like I couldn't play with the big boys.

I would suggest locking this thread because it is very non productive. But I know some people like to have the last word....it doesn't matter to me. Say what you feel you must and I won't need to reply. Then you can lock it, destroy it print, crumple and eat it or whatever:D

I just want to make good brew, I don't want to argue. I want to be treated like an adult and with respect. That is how I treat others (who treat me the same). A PM with a joking little note like " C'mon now...after over 300 posts you should know to use the search" with a smilie attached would have worked.

Enough!!!!! Why do we stop, and then pile it on?

If anybody has a complaint about something, please take it up with the administrator (TxBrew).

Sorry I was trying to be so helpful. We're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back