carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManK

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any trick to getting the smaller bubbles that you find in some beers. Any thoughts?

I've read that using Dry Malt Extract to prime before bottling will result in 'tighter' bubbles than using corn sugar, but have yet to try this myself.

apparently using dme to carbonate produces tiny bubbles, at least smaller then with corn sugar, but if your referring to n02 like in canned guinnes with widgets i dont think there is a 'natural' way...(you can force carb with n02 or co2/no2 mix)

p.s. ive used dme for priming and it appears that the beers have a smoother carb, but this could be psychosomatic...i.e. all in my head

There are some strains where the yeast cells have smaller mouths creating tiny bubbles. Because of this, it takes them longer to carbonate the beer. However, it is well worth the wait.

RichBrewer said:
There are some strains where the yeast cells have smaller mouths creating tiny bubbles.

I would've guessed it was the size of the yeast... um... "exhaust port", rather than the mouth, that had an impact on bubble size. The bubbles are, after all, just yeast-farts. :D

Lil' Sparky said:
I would've guessed it was the size of the yeast... um... "exhaust port", rather than the mouth, that had an impact on bubble size. The bubbles are, after all, just yeast-farts. :D
and all along I thought it was the yeast belches that carbonated the beer.

I think lower carbonation level and higher beer viscosity will give you smaller bubbles, unless, like Borg sais, you find this nitrogen carbonator...

I usually get small and creamy bubbles in my brews.

I pour out most of the beer from the bottle leaving about 1/2 inch and I shake the bejesus out of the remainder for about 10 seconds and pour.:D

Sometimes the initial pouring brings the beer to the top of the glass. Be careful when you pour.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
I usually get small and creamy bubbles in my brews.

I pour out most of the beer from the bottle leaving about 1/2 inch and I shake the bejesus out of the remainder for about 10 seconds and pour.:D

Sometimes the initial pouring brings the beer to the top of the glass. Be careful when you pour.:D

Mmmm, yeast-y! I'm always scared to drink that stuff but after half-a dozen I seem to quit caring.

I have noticed just in the few batches I've made that hefe yeast makes smaller bubbles. I wonder If we can buy unused widgets and use them somehow...
:tank:

Latest posts

Back