Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick answer: about three weeks.

More involved answer: It really depends on the kind of beer, what gravity it is, how much and what kind of yeast you use, what temperature you're storing it at and other conditions. But, basically, assume about two weeks of conditioning around 65*-70* and another week in the fridge to clarify.

That said, I've had well carbed bottles after a week and I've had some that have taken nearly two months to get any decent kind of carbonation.

This time of year,I've had average gravity ales take 4 weeks at room temp to carb & condition. Then a week in the fridge to settle any chill haze & get co2 into solution.

How long does my beer need to set in the bottles before drinking?

Like most have said 3 weeks @ 70 degrees is a minimum to carb up.

Just because a beer is carbed up dose not mean it is ready to drink, a wheat beer can be ready in that time, but a Imperial Stout can take a year to be drinkable.

General rule of thumb is, lighter low alcohol beers are quicker to Finnish, darker and higher alcohol beers take longer to finish.

Also after age conditioning is done, you will need to leave it in the fridge 2 to 3 days before popping the top and trying it, this time allows the co2 in the head space to go into the beer and carb it up.

Cheers :mug:

Back