carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegmaster

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for an easy way to carbonate. Has anyone thought about using a keg for a secondary fermentor with a pressure relief valve set for 15 psi. cheers from New Hampshire.

That would work and some folks actually do something similar to what you describe by adding the priming sugar to the keg. The only drawback is that you will end up with yeast sediment in your keg.

But the sediment only lasts for a pint or two or three, as long as primary fermentation has been allowed to finish... I almost always rack from the primary into the keg, let it sit for a while longer at ferm temps and then drop the temp to carbonate.... seems to work fine. -p

That's exactly what I do as well. I might notice a little sediment in the first glass but I am usually only doing a taste test to see if the beer is ready to force carbonate. Any other sediment will only appear in the last glass when the keg is almost empty. If I planned to transport the beer then I would rack to third keg.
I have always used corny kegs as secondary fermenters. They are idea for that purpose: no exposure to light, you can rack to other vessels without exposure to oxygen, they are light weight, and very rugged. You can't make any of those statements about a glass secondary.

orfy said:
That's why you add priming sugar to restart the fermentation.

But I don't want any more sediment than nesessary. I don't see it with my method. Using priming sugar will give me the sediment I don't want.
I don't mind sediment in a bottle, but in my kegs, no way.:mug:

boo boo said:
But I don't want any more sediment than nesessary. I don't see it with my method. Using priming sugar will give me the sediment I don't want.
I don't mind sediment in a bottle, but in my kegs, no way.:mug:

Then force carb. :mug:

Back