carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papajess

Reaction score
First timer here. But what is the fastest you've had a oatmeal stout carbonate? I dont know if that matters if its an oatmeal stout or not.

papajess said:
First timer here. But what is the fastest you've had a oatmeal stout carbonate? I dont know if that matters if its an oatmeal stout or not.

Sorry, too many variables, what size batch, how much priming sugar? OG and FG? Bottle temperature?

I personally wouldn't even think of opening a bottle for 3 weeks and that would be the absolute soonest, most likely 5-6 for carb AND conditioning if not longer.......

Agree with duboman.

Not trying to be persnickety, here, but I think you will be happier overall with your beer if trying to focus on something other than how fast it can be produced. It'll be drinkable before it's good, and good before it's great.

Im not sure off hand of og or fg but its a 5 gallon batch and sugar i think 5oz what ever was in the box not 100% sure. But im letting it sit but i opened one just to try because hey its my first batch and its been 8 days since bottling. But it seamed pretty carbonated. I was just seeing if that was weird or not. But yes im going to let them sit for a while even tho its my first batch.

Patience man. Try another in 6 days, and it'll be pretty damn carbonated. A week after that, you should be good.

Revvy has a good carbonation post somewhere on here (probably Bottling/Kegging section) but I'll sum it up for you: Patience.

Let the beers sit as close to 70F for 3 weeks. If your beers aren't carbed by then, then you can worry about it.

The key to bottling is patience, I only bottle so to keep my distracted from trying to crack a bottle every couple of days I just brew more so that I have a steady pipeline going.

Back