Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendricksonfr

Reaction score
I'm on my third brew so far and I just had a few general questions about the bottling/conditioning process....

It's been 6 days since I bottled an Oatmeal Stout. I decided to sample one of them last night since I noticed there was a thick layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottle. It had that *kis* sound to it and had about a half inch head, but when I tasted it.. it seemed a little too carbonated. I'm not really sure why that would be since it's only been 6 days, and I've learned they need at least 2 weeks to finish conditioning. But I definitely don't want to get that hard carbonated taste from this brew.

Should I wait until it finishes conditioning and see how carbonated it is then? Or is there something I can do to remedy the process? Any ideas/suggestions?

P.S. I used 3/4Cup of table sugar with 2 Cups of water boiled for 5 minutes as my priming sugar.

I'm on my third brew so far and I just had a few general questions about the bottling/conditioning process....

It's been 6 days since I bottled an Oatmeal Stout. I decided to sample one of them last night since I noticed there was a thick layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottle. It had that *kis* sound to it and had about a half inch head, but when I tasted it.. it seemed a little too carbonated. I'm not really sure why that would be since it's only been 6 days, and I've learned they need at least 2 weeks to finish conditioning. But I definitely don't want to get that hard carbonated taste from this brew.

Should I wait until it finishes conditioning and see how carbonated it is then? Or is there something I can do to remedy the process? Any ideas/suggestions?

P.S. I used 3/4Cup of table sugar with 2 Cups of water boiled for 5 minutes as my priming sugar.

Need a lot more details on your process for this brew to help figure out what is going on. Timelines, gravities, recipe, fermentation process, etc etc etc.

1. Wait until it is done carbonating.
2. Sample.
3. If excessively carbonated, chill, remove and replace caps.

This will lower the pressure by a few psi.

Did you chill the bottle before you opened it? Wamer beers can seem a little overcarbed!

Due to the beer being a little green it can be hard to distinguish a harshness from overcarb or just a harshness from the beer, especially with stouts. Stouts definitely benefit from at least 3 weeks bottle conditioning IMHO. Lots of subtle flavors that need time to show their shy little heads;)

+1 on David 42 though, I like that!

I use a similar priming schedule but I cannot say I am too keen on Table Sugar for priming, I have always used Dextrose but as long as it is working, who cares!!

Yeah, I did some more research here and figured I'd just wait the proper amount of time before worrying. I did chill the bottle, but not for 2 days. I'm gonna give it the minimum 3 weeks and see how things work out then. I read a huge thread about how carbonation works and I just need to wait longer to really tell what's going on.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll post some results in a few weeks.

Back