carbonation problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afss

Reaction score
Ive got a keg system set up, sanke.... there are no leaks for C02

My carbonation levels i am not happy with, my fridge is cold, like 32-34 f cold. Will this cause the beer to taste/feel flat? ive got the pressure cranked to 22psi and it still pours fine on about 12 feet of line. i get a nice creamy head on a stout and an ipa (3/4 inch about 30 seconds after the pour) but they both feel a bit flat on the tongue. There is carbonation there but to me it seems flatish. I like a beer with carbonation.

I also added a spot in my lines that i can verify the gauges with tire gauges lol. ive checked both gauges with 4 differend slide style tire gauges, my tire inflater gauge and a digital tire gauge and all read the same with in a pound so i am confident my gauges are displaying a reasonable representation of the pressure i am applying to the kegs.

The kegs have been in the fridge for weeks now

should i dail the fridge back to 38?

should i up the pressure of down it after raising the temp of the fridge?

I love a cold beer but i also love the feel of carbonation..... I am at a loss here lol

for what its worth i started low at like 12 psi and have worked my way higher to try to attain a mouth feel and visible carbonation in the glass like a bottled beer.... just not getting there yet

for what its worth i started low at like 12 psi and have worked my way higher to try to attain a mouth feel and visible carbonation in the glass like a bottled beer.... just not getting there yet

How long did you wait after raising the pressure to see if the carbonation was more to you liking? It can take several days or weeks for beer to come to equilibrium at a new pressure. @33°F and 22 psi, you will eventually get to a carb level of 3.89 volumes. Typical commercial beer is in the 2.7 - 2.8 range.

Brew on :mug:

i know the chart says i should be high but it doesnt seem to be getting there. i havent waited weeks but certainly days between adjustments. I wouldnt expect a full carb after a few days but id think id see a fair change?

I'm having the same problem, but with an energy drink I concocted. I have the keg at 34 degrees and 28 lbs, but it's still flat as a pancake after 6 days. I thought it would carb within a couple of days at that temp/pressure. This is my first time kegging anything, but I haven't read about it taking this long to get *any* carbonation.

I figured it out. It helps to slosh it around gently in the keg. Apparently the carbonic acid doesn't diffuse easily to the bottom, at least not within the first 10 days or so.

soooooooo..... i may have figured this out.

Im using beer gas, not C02 (possibly insert idiot here and bang head off wall)

If i understand what i think i have figured out, beer gas is 25% c02, so basically at 30psi im really only carbing at around 7.5 psi C02 as nitrogen wont be absorbed..... so really when i am around 40f and 30 psi wondering why i cant carb as i should be pushing 4 volumes i really am at around 7-8 psi and pushing 2.1 volumes and finding it adequate in a stout but still not where i like and finding it way flat in anything else.

If this is the case first FML! i cant believe its this simple a fix.... second wooooooo freaking whooooooo i hope its this simple and i'll go exchange for c02 and be done with this nightmare.

Yeah, beer gas is a totally different animal. Carbonation doesn't really occur based on gauge pressure, but rather something called partial pressure. First off, remember that atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi (at sea level), so that if the regulator is set at 12 psi, then the absolute pressure in the keg is 26.7 psi. If the keg headspace is 100% CO2 then the CO2 partial pressure is 26.7 psi. If the headspace is 75% N2 and 25% CO2 then the N2 partial pressure is 0.75 * 26.7 = 20 psi, and the CO2 partial pressure is 0.25 * 26.7 = 6.7 psi.

Now the carbonation charts and calculators are based on gauge pressure, so if they tell you you want 10 psi gauge pressure for your carb level, then the required CO2 partial pressure is 14.7 + 10 = 24.7 psi.

Now, if you put 75/25 beer gas at 30 psi on the keg, the absolute pressure is 44.7 psi and the CO2 partial pressure is 0.25 * 44.7 = 11.2 psi. And the CO2 pressure you would use in the chart or calculator is 11.2 - 14.7 = -3.5 psi! The charts don't have negative numbers, but -3.5 psi gauge pressure of CO2 translates to 1.24 volumes of CO2 at 33°F.

You just can't carb to very many volumes of CO2 using beer gas.

I follow most of that math but am not sure I follow the last bit.

If we are comparing chart to chart or reg pressure to reg pressure wouldn't I be applying 7.5 psi of co2 at 30 psi in a 75:25 mix?

Regardless of sea level or other factors, the gauge is reading pressure applied to the keg isn't it?

Another question, if the gauge on the regulator reads 30 psi, should any gauge read 30psi (ie tire gauge etc) or should they be reading the 30 plus atmospheric. I think just 30 also but want to be sure. This thing has been frustrating the hell out of me so I want to be darn sure I'm understanding this and get things right this time before I say f it.
Thanks for the help

OK, so if it carbonates does it do so at the same psi as co2 or is there a different chart for it

OK, so if it carbonates does it do so at the same psi as co2 or is there a different chart for it

Carbonation comes from CO2 (carbon dioxide). Nitrogen can't carbonate, as it's not CO2.

Here's some good instructions from northernbrewer.com on how to carb and then serve with beer gas. http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/Nitro-System.pdf

First, you carbonate with c02 to the proper volume (or by priming with sugar). Then you dispense with beer gas. Nitrogen is not very soluble in liquid, so that is what gives the creamy mouthfeel and the "nitro" effect.

Here's a discussion about it.

Here's a more detailed discussion.

It doesn't dissolve as well as CO2, and requires very high pressures to do it -- often more than home brewing equipment can handle. It's used in pubs as a pusher over long distances, and is maintained at high enough pressures to force some nitrogen into solution, giving porters and stouts the distinctive tiny bubbles, persistent head, and "flat" but creamy mouthfeel. You can replicate this effect at home with easier-to-use CO2 by following the procedure described in the last section of the article at BYO.

I did a quick search, but didn't find a nitrogen gas chart. I'm sure there's one somewhere, though.

I follow most of that math but am not sure I follow the last bit.

If we are comparing chart to chart or reg pressure to reg pressure wouldn't I be applying 7.5 psi of co2 at 30 psi in a 75:25 mix?

Regardless of sea level or other factors, the gauge is reading pressure applied to the keg isn't it?

Another question, if the gauge on the regulator reads 30 psi, should any gauge read 30psi (ie tire gauge etc) or should they be reading the 30 plus atmospheric. I think just 30 also but want to be sure. This thing has been frustrating the hell out of me so I want to be darn sure I'm understanding this and get things right this time before I say f it.
Thanks for the help
Pressure is a measure of how much gas is present in a given volume. The total number of gas molecules in a given volume is equal to the absolute pressure times the volume divided by a constant and temperature.
Number of Gas Molecules = (Abs_Pressure * Volume) / (Constant * Abs_Temperature)
Usually written as PV = nRT​
Temperature is absolute temperature measured in °Kelvin. °Kelvin = °Celsius + 273.16°. Atmospheric gas fills all spaces at 14.7 psi absolute, unless special effort taken to remove it.

Almost all common use pressure gauges measure the difference between atmospheric pressure and the pressure in the vessel of interest. These include compressed gas gauges and tire gauges. So, they all read 0 psi when the actual absolute pressure is 14.7 psi. If you add gas to a keg so that the gauge reads 10 psi, then you have the original 14.7 psi that was there before you did anything, and the additional 10 psi you added, so the total absolute pressure in the keg is 24.7 psi. When you vent a keg completely, the pressure drops back to 14.7 psi absolute. If you pulled a complete vacuum on the keg prior to pressurizing (you can't actually do this if there is liquid in the keg), the gauge pressure in the keg would be -14.7 psi (even though the gauge can't read below 0, usually), and the absolute pressure would be 0 psi.

The partial pressure of a gas is equal to the total absolute pressure times the volume fraction of that gas. So for example the partial pressure of O2 in sea level air is 0.21 * 14.7 = 3.09 psi. Partial pressures are always absolute pressure. You cannot measure partial pressure with a gauge (unless the space contains a single gas species, and it is an absolute pressure gauge.) So, partial pressures need to be calculated from absolute pressure and a knowledge of the total gas composition.

The equilibrium between any gas in the local atmosphere (like the headspace of a keg) and the gas dissolved in a liquid in contact with the local atmosphere, is determined by the temperature and the partial pressure of the gas. So, what matters for determining the equilibrium volumes of CO2 in beer is the partial pressure of CO2 and the temperature.

When the keg headspace is 100% CO2, then the CO2 partial pressure is equal to the total absolute pressure. And since absolute pressure is just gauge pressure + 14.7 psi (at sea level), it's easy to "fudge" the carbonation charts and calculators, so that you can work with gauge pressure. However, the common charts and calculators are not designed for use with beer gas, so you cannot use them. It is possible to make calculators that work for different gas mixtures (I have one), and charts that work for a particular gas mixture (but the charts won't work for other gas mixtures.)

When dealing with beer gas, you need to do all the math with partial pressures, not gauge pressures, and then calculate what gauge pressure will give you the desired results. Here's a screen capture from my calculator that handles various beer gas mixtures showing results for a carb level typical of stouts, etc.:

Beer gas - low carb.png

If you want to put something on nitro at a higher carb level, things get out of hand.

Beer gas - high carb.png

Finally, the best way to carb a keg for use on nitro, is to carb it with pure CO2 initially at the CO2 volumes you desire. Then, purge and repressurize a couple of times with beer gas at the appropriate serving pressure. The reason for this is if you put it on beer gas for initial carb, the beer will preferentially absorb the CO2 from the headspace, and the make up gas for the head space will be mostly N2. Thus as the beer carbs, the partial pressure of CO2 in the headspace decreases, and you end up with less carbonation than you intended. (However, since a lot of ales are going to be at almost 1 volume of carbonation at the end of fermentation, putting on beer gas immediately will probably be acceptable.)

Who knew beer gas (nitro) was so complicated? :confused: :drunk: :D

I went and got CO2, with in a day i could notice the difference, 4 days now and its sooooo much better.

Thanks for all your help.

Back