Carbonation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

par383

Reaction score
I've recently made a Weissenbock that I'm submitting for a local homebrew competition for the annual Bockfest celebration (bottles are due in 2 weeks). About 1-1/2 weeks ago, I bottled a six-pack using the carbonation drops from my LHBS (kegged the rest). Last night, I cracked open one of them to see how it tastes, and there is very little carbonation - almost nonexistent. I think that when I aged my beer, all the yeast went dormant and now won't carbonate the beer. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get some carbonation?

I'm thinking of going back to buy some dry yeast, and put a teeny tiny bit in each bottle with another carbonation drop. Is that a good idea?

I've never used those carbonation drops, but I think most people will say it's too early for them to be fully carbed up yet. 3 weeks @ 70* is the most common advice, and sometimes longer depending on your actual temperature and the type of priming.So I would say wait another week and a half then try another. What's the temp where you're storing the beer?

Good point. I didn't really think about that. It's in by basement right now. While it's not too cold down there, it can't hurt to bring them upstairs.

Back