Carbonation Issues with Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcgpete

Reaction score
To start off, I've been kegging beer for going on 3 years, and this issue just started coming up.

Background info:
I recently moved, and the water in my new place is ****ty, so I've been doing mash additions of chalk, gypsum, and/or calcium carbonate to help with that. This is the only change in my brewing techniques.

For my kegging setup, the only thing that has changed is that I replaced all my beverage lines (12' in each line), and my kegerator is now upstairs instead of in the basement, so it's in about 15degF higher ambient temperatures.

How I force carb my beers is to keg it, set it at about 30psi, stick it in the kegerator for 2 days, bleed, serving pressure, drink. It's always worked, and it's how I do it, so please let's not turn this into a discussion on how your method is better (oh I forgot this isn't reddit).

My problem:
So all four beers I've kegged since being in my apartment will not carb up properly. I do the method outlined above, and they are just....creamy. They have good head, so it seems they are carbed, but when I drink them they just don't have that sparkly crispness. There is a hint of carbonation, it's not completely flat, but it's just not what I want.

The more I drink the more I notice, and it's bugging me so much I've been drinking commercial beer from my local brewery!

I've had people tell me maybe a leaky keg/fittings, but it's happening on all four of my kegs. And I would think if something was leaking I'd run out of CO2, and it's been connected to everything for 2 months.

So what do you guys think?
Cheers:mug:

Is your CO2 tank inside or outside your fridge? Either I missed it in your description, or you just aren't doing ...but just turn the psi up a notch or two?

Maybe your regulator got bumped during the move and is now a little out of calibration? I agree with brettwasbtd, try turning up the pressure a few PSI and see if it's any better in a week.

(I don't see how the CO2 tank being in or out of the fridge changes anything.)

Is your CO2 tank inside or outside your fridge? Either I missed it in your description, or you just aren't doing ...but just turn the psi up a notch or two?

It's inside the fridge, regulators and everything. I have a primary regulator, then a secondary with 1 regulator for each keg.

I tried letting it sit for an extra day at 30 psi, which didn't help. I would think that's comparable to higher pressure, right?

Do you know that the temps in the fridge are the same as before?

My temperature controller says so. Of course though the first rule of brewing is never trust your thermometer. I'll stick my mash thermometer in there when I get home from work.

Maybe your regulator got bumped during the move and is now a little out of calibration?

I'll give this a try too when I get home. Didn't think about the regulator getting jarred. I'll have to grab another gauge and test that out.

Maybe your regulator got bumped during the move and is now a little out of calibration? I agree with brettwasbtd, try turning up the pressure a few PSI and see if it's any better in a week.

(I don't see how the CO2 tank being in or out of the fridge changes anything.)

So it definitely has something to do with my regulator. I turned one keg up to 40psi for about 50 hours last night, then back to serving pressure and the pint was nice and crisp. It had that effervescence that I was lacking before. I'll have to do further research to see if the psi is actually off, or if it just took longer than the 2 days I'm used to for some reason. I'll bring a pressure gauge home from work and check it out.

Thanks for the idea!:mug:

Back