Carbonation Failure.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova5

Reaction score
Batch primed.

Boiled water/dissolved supplied corn sugar poured it into the bottling bucket. set bottling bucket on the floor. Ran tube from better bottle spigot to the bottom of the bottling bucket, opened valve on BB and let it flow down and around. self created a low grade whirlpool.

I thought this was enough to properly mix the priming sugar into the wort?

Previous batches work well enough this way.. just a slight variation in head. but the two currently bottled ones have some that are weakly carbonated and a gusher or two. I carbed in a pair of Coolers in a closet. Just in case bottles want to get.. overly anxious to be opened and do it themselves. house stayed at 72ish degrees.

Thoughts on what went wrong?

what was the temp inside the coolers? Also what kind of brew was it and how long did u have it in primary/secondary before u bottled?

The two beers are in the sig.

Cooler temp would have been house temp as they were just in the closet in the main house. Carbonation doesn't generate much heat does it? Ferm generates a few degrees difference.

yeah i mean unless the temps dropped and the yeast aren't as active. i'd take them out of the coolers, no need to worry about them exploding or anything, thats only an issue with backsweetened cider.

I dunno im not sure why ur having that issue, im sure someone else here will have better suggestions

I prime and bottle the exact same way and I have never had an issue at all. I read about guys running into this all the time, but I have never had a problem. Maybe you were just unlucky in that your wort and sugar solution didn't mix as well. Just try lightly stirring with a sanitized spoon from now on before bottling. I condition in SterLite containers (similar to coolers I guess) at about 69-73 degrees and I have never had a carb problem. The coolers definitely aren't your issue.

No need to bust out a spoon. Just stir it with your sanitized racking cane before you bottle. No need to rely on a gravity whirlpool.

No need to bust out a spoon. Just stir it with your sanitized racking cane before you bottle. No need to rely on a gravity whirlpool.

^ this. Don't introduce too much oxygen, just stir gently for a minute :mug:

BlindFaith said:
I prime and bottle the exact same way and I have never had an issue at all. I read about guys running into this all the time, but I have never had a problem. Maybe you were just unlucky in that your wort and sugar solution didn't mix as well. Just try lightly stirring with a sanitized spoon from now on before bottling. I condition in SterLite containers (similar to coolers I guess) at about 69-73 degrees and I have never had a carb problem. The coolers definitely aren't your issue.

I had this happen with a BB kit I brewed... I don't think there was enough corn sugar...

What racking cane? If you read, you'll see I don't use one of those inferior junkers. ;) Ported BB, Hose of the valve and into the bottom of the bottling bucket.

My thought is, use something you have already sanitized for bottling and stir gently while not agitating the surface. For me it's my racking cane. On your superior system it may be your bottling wand. ;)

Eh.. I'd have to sanitize something for that. ;)

I sanitize the bottle wand and its short connecting pipe shortly before I need them. have to move the Bottle bucket to where the BB was.

Nova5 said:
Eh.. I'd have to sanitize something for that. ;)

I sanitize the bottle wand and its short connecting pipe shortly before I need them. have to move the Bottle bucket to where the BB was.

It sounds like it may be worth the extra step. With a small stir my bottles were always consistent.

Does this mean you bottled on 1/10 and its only been 10 days?

They need more time:)

no no.. I special cased myself..

11/10/12 and 1/10/13 are the dates of bottling the two batches. Sig contains the dates of actions of the two brews.

One was bottled in November 2012 and the other, January 2013.

Back