carbonation chart queston keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
So I found a chart on force cabbing , And from what I under stand its a 10 day carbonate cureing time .

1> Is there a way to get it ready faster , IE-add more co2 pressure to the keg ?

2> If I add more pressure to the keg will it over carbonate over time ?

1. In a pinch you can crank up the co2 to carb faster. For example I had some friends call up and say they would be over in a few hours. So I filled up a keg and cranked the co2 up to about 40psi and shook the keg every 15 minutes and it was carbed good enough for us to drink. That being said it is not recommend.

2. It you have the co2 psi set too high for too long it will over carb.

If I"m in a huge hurry, I set the keg in the kegerator at 30 psi for 36 hours, and then purge it and reset to 12 psi. It's ready in about three days, although it will improve for a bout a week.

I'm NOT a fan of shaking or otherwise trying to make it even faster, because it seems like it's way too easy to overcarb or get foaming.

Did you rush the primary?
Did you rush the aging?

Then why are you rushing the carbonation? ;)

I'm a 'set it and forget it' guy. I just hook up the CO2 and tap, then walk away for a week before I taste it.

Fast carbing also leads to more carbonic acid build-up in the beer, which does go away...but again, what's the good here? You get it carbed (probably over carbed) faster but it doesn't taste as good as it should.

That's what good craft beer is for...the times you don't have homebrew ready :)

Back