Carbonation Cap - Using a 2L pop bottle as a simple keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt120

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Been lurking the forums for a while, first time posting. :)

I've just finished my first batch of cider and space is at a premium so I am unable to make use of a Keg setup. Instead I've been looking at carbonation caps used in conjunction with 2L PET bottles to carbonate the cider. I noted one cap in particular that allows for both gas and liquid hookups.

My question is: I found a video where the guy uses the cap on a PET bottle to clean his keg lines by charging the bottle and then the pressure pushes the cleaner into the lines. Would you be able to use this method, where it's cider being pushed out of a 2L PET bottle and then into a spigot/bottling device or something that you could use to transfer it to glass bottles? you'd probably need to recharge the 2L partway through with more CO2 but I feel like it should be able to act as a rudimentary keg? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Been really unable to find anything online talking about using the caps to dispense vs get filled so any insight with using them would be awesome!

Hi there!

There's one simple setup you could probably use. I've tested this based on the idea from our polish hombrew forum (https://www.piwo.org/forums/topic/2...a-kegu-5l/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-480795).

Basically you need this things:
- pet bottle
- carbonation cup with short hose reaching bottle bottom
- simple beer line (liquid ball lock disconnect, hose, party tap)
- screwed car tire valve (i have no idea how it is named in english, something like this: https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/valve-stems/vol-w3dvsg-volk-racing-rays-valve-stem-gunmetal)

Make a hole in the bottle, mount the valve in it. Bottle your cider or beer using some priming sugar. After priming chill the bottle. Replace original cap with carbonation cap with mounted hose. Connect beer line. Use some hand bike or CO2 pump to pour your beer with party tap :)

Only (poor) photo I have for this setup:

Last edited:
I made a poor man's keg by attaching a valve to the bottom of 2 ltr PET bottles -

16094199251_f94652fe57_c.jpg

Then carbonating them with a CO2 tank and the plastic carbonation caps. It worked well.

15473809274_1dcb0917b6_c.jpg

In a recent purchase I acquired a filled co2 bottle with a regulator and tee to hoses for the kegs. The guy kept the kegs.
How did you attach the valves to the bottles? (Don't want a blow out)
Can I get the carb caps at an lhbs?
Where is a cheap place to get rest of the setup for pouring/bottling?
Why have I not seen this before?

In a recent purchase I acquired a filled co2 bottle with a regulator and tee to hoses for the kegs. The guy kept the kegs.
How did you attach the valves to the bottles? (Don't want a blow out)

An adapter like this: https://www.mcmaster.com/2684k19

Can I get the carb caps at an lhbs?

Dunno- Can you? Got mine online https://www.morebeer.com/products/carbacap.html
There are stainless ones available too.

Where is a cheap place to get rest of the setup for pouring/bottling?

Once you have a hose connected to the bottom of the bottle, you just need a picnic tap which you can get at any LHBS. Attach a bottling wand to that (they fit right into the spout) you can bottle from it.

Why have I not seen this before?

Umm...

And you just drill the bottle and thread it in?

Yup. 1/8 NPT to 10-32 adapter, McMaster 2684K19

Just need to drill a 3/16" hole in the bottom of the bottle and add a nut. It comes with a washer. The stud is short, but workable. Use stainless hardware.

what's the highest pressure you've run it at?

Probably 25 psi. At room temp that's about beer level carbonation. I have quick connects in the serving line at the bottle, so the bottles can be refrigerated after carbing. Once cold I drop it down to about 12 psi, just as with a keg. Cider doesn't foam much so line length isn't a big deal like with beer.

In todays chapter of "Captain Cheap Strikes Again"
I picked up a couple of glass carboys, a corney keg, another CO2 bottle with regulator, and other items for $60 bucks from craigslist.
In the stuff was one of those blue carb caps.
I hooked it up and shook the bottle but no carbonation. Any idea how to get it to work?
Running about 23 psi.

[Edit] nevermind. Read up in the beer forums and got it sorted.

Last edited:
Back