Carbonation/Beer Stones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got these "beer stones" as a gift earlier this week. I had never heard of them and frankly didn't expect them to work. But to my pleasant surprise, they really do alter the way the carbonation releases in the beer glass.

The bubbles are smaller, resulting in a smoother, creamier, longer lasting head. It makes normal carbonation release more like nitrogen.

But the downside is that it makes the beer a bit flatter a bit faster.

But for darker styles like porters and stouts, I think it's preferable. And the frozen stones also act as little ice cubes to keep the beer a little colder, little longer.

0EEB9F18-D189-454C-9EAD-3FF456282F0B.jpeg

Last edited:
I would assume it accomplishes the same thing as the etching that you'll find in the bottom of some beer glasses. It acts as a nucleation site for bubbles to form. It should help with head retention (or at least, head "replacement"), but as you say, it will make the beer go flat a little faster. Solution: drink faster!

I think your analysis of what they'll do is about right. just have to try it, and if you like it go with it. And vice-versa.

I doubt they'll cool the beer noticeably at all. I used to use "whiskey stones" and actually comparing 2 very small glasses of water, one with and one without them, a thermometer basically said they did nothing whatsoever. Just not thermally conductive apparently. It was surprising they didn't do more.

Back