carbonating with dry ice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robs1642

Reaction score
is this possible? could i just put a tiny lump of dry ice in each bottle and then cap it?

i used to make dry ice bombs when i was younger. i know this could end very very badly.

but it might work... in principle i dont see why it wouldnt work. it would be hard to get the right amount of dry ice each time.

your thoughts?

In my opinion the time, effort, expense are not worth it, not to mention the risk involved. I'd stick to sugar and yeast or force carbonation. It's way easier and it's time tested method, it might take a little longer, but beer gets better with time anyway, so who's in a hurry.

Even if it could be done safely, it will not speed the conditioning of the beer.

doable? yes.

advisable? no way.

the hobby is all about patience, and fast carbing bottles with dry-ice is a direct paradox.

Yep, you're talking about how to build a beer bomb, there. Believe me, if you've ever seen a bottle explode due to overcarbonation, you wouldn't even consider the dry ice route. It's not like the caps pop off and you have a little gusher. That only happens if you're lucky. The bottle can actually explode, sending shards of glass and larger hunks of glass all over the place.

When we were unpacking Dixie Cup entries recently, one blew up in someone's hands. Everyone was fine, but it was scary (and a close call that he didn't glass in his eye). We found pieces of glass (including the neck with the cap still attached) all over the place. Some were several feet away.

TL

I made a few dry ice bombs in my day. I don't want to give the details to encourage anyone because it is dangerous stuff.

Back