Carbonating wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marbach1987

Reaction score
I just transferred a batch of wine (open fermentation) to carboy og was 12% and 10 days when transferred 1to 1.5 %. I was curious about bottling before it was completely fermented. Old time beer making is done this way but I was curious about the math. Gravity points/abv left to ferment equates to what kind of c02 pressure, so I know what hydrometer reading will give what carbonation level.

A fella on the cider forum says that 5 gravity points will result in about 2.5 volumes of carbonation, the same level as most beers. But you're better off to allow the wine to fully ferment and clear then add a controlled amount of priming sugar instead of trying to catch an active ferment on its way down. You'll get much less sediment in the bottles and a controlled amount of carbonation. Predicting where a ferment will stop is risky.

A fella on the cider forum says that 5 gravity points will result in about 2.5 volumes of carbonation, the same level as most beers. But you're better off to allow the wine to fully ferment and clear then add a controlled amount of priming sugar instead of trying to catch an active ferment on its way down. You'll get much less sediment in the bottles and a controlled amount of carbonation. Predicting where a ferment will stop is risky.
This is the way, let it finish completely.

Back