carbonating water - bubbles in liquid line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shataway

Reaction score
I am new to kegging and have recently purchase a new kegging system. I have been testing with water so that I don't have to learn the hard lessons with beer.

I have 5 foot, 3/16 lines on a picnic tap. Kegs and CO2 inside a regular freezer on top fridge. Top of the fridge compartment 42 deg F max if I have been opening the door alot. Usually it is around 38 deg when I come home from work. One keg is at 10 psi with 1 epoxy mixing stick. The other is at 30 psi with 3.5 epoxy mixing sticks.

As I pour 22 oz of carbed water, I get bubbles continuously forming in the line with both kegs.

I have read on HBT about liquid line temp being warmer than keg temp can cause CO2 to come out of solution in the line and adding a fan can help correct the problem.

I am aware of carbonation tables and line balancing spreadsheets (not that I am doing it right though).

Q1: Does water not retain CO2 as well as beer or Apfelwein?
Q2: When my CO2 tanks was filled for the first time, the guy just connected it to the source tank and let it equalize. Should there have been a purge?

Thanks,
Steven

Q1: no difference
Q2:Nope

UAQ: Lots of bubbles is normal for soda water, no matter how you set it up. I run 35 psi, 20' of 3/16ths, 34F and get lots of bubbles. Plenty of carbonation left.

Thanks David 42. I am still making adjustments and hoping I can make the epoxy mixing sticks and 5ft lines work.

The 30psi, 4.5 mixing stick pour is slow but still making bubbles in the line with OK carbonation left. I don't have a "taste" feel for carbonation levels but I guess it is more than an ale but less than BMC and less than cold soda.

Latest posts

Back