Carbonating a stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I brewed a Guiness clone a couple weeks ago and then came time for bottling. I don't have a kegging system so bottles are my only option. For my priming sugar I used regular white sugar. I used a nomograph to determine the amount f sugar to use. For a 2.0 carbonation at 68 degree cellar temp it said to use 2.8oz of sugar by weight. So I did. In all of this it did not say how long the carbonation process will take. Out of curiosity I opened one after three days. Zero carb, not really surprised. But I've been told carbonating a stout an take one week it could take three...which is it? When can I pop the top and enjoy my stout. PS the beer I opened still tasted good, just flat. Thoughts?

Hops-and-Dreams

Did you siphon the beer onto the sugar solution?

FYI-using malt extract will give your beer finer bubbles, which I think you may like better in a stout.

I pour the hot malt extract solution into my bottle bucket then siphon the beer, and I am usually fully carbonated (unless gravity is very high) in about a week.

This sounds like complete BS do you have any information on why this is the case?

I cant see this either, I thought the size of bubbles has to do with proteins in the beer not the type of priming sugar you use.

It usually takes between 1-2 weeks to fully carb up (can happen even faster), but most people recommend giving it 3 weeks around here, because it will take a little longer for your beer to really peak. I'll bet you could enjoy one in another week though, if you decide.

Patience is usually rewarded with a stout, but it will be in the melding of the flavor, not so much in the time to carbonation.

once your boil timer hits 0 it makes no difference if is AG or extract after that.

I tried this recipe before. I added 100g of dextrose for about 18L and had a very nice carbonation. You should not waste some beers right now. I got the peek taste and carb at around 2 months for this. Be patient my friend

Latest posts

Back