carbonating a sankey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoZzyFresh

Reaction score
I have 2 5 gallon sankey kegs that we were using as secondary but i recently got a coupler for them. They have been cleaned and re-assembled. Should I just have to attache the coupler and attach the gas in and let it flow for a few days at 30 PSI i order to carbonate it? Obviously this is normally all done under pressure at a commercial facility but as we all know this is the land of homebrew.

There shouldn't be any difference from a sankey to a cornie, just do as you normally would.

thanks man...been searching everywhere and cant find many specifics that dont deal with brite tanks/pressurized/etc...

i guess the only thing i should consider is to not push down the coupler till ready to dispense...but i guess gas should flow in freely without it being pushed down and tapped..cant wait to get our shank and what not for this installed this weekend

thanks man...been searching everywhere and cant find many specifics that dont deal with brite tanks/pressurized/etc...

i guess the only thing i should consider is to not push down the coupler till ready to dispense...but i guess gas should flow in freely without it being pushed down and tapped..cant wait to get our shank and what not for this installed this weekend

I believe you have to tap it for the gas to flow. But it's been a while since I had a commercial keg.

Yes, if you don't tap it, it will not push down the ball and thus, no co2 will flow to the beer.

It's really no different that tapping a normal sankey keg. Only with this one, you have to let it sit for awhile before its not flat anymore.

Back