Carbonated water sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunus

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of getting my dad a 20# bottle of co2 and a corny keg because sparkling water (unflavored) is what he drinks instead of just water.

I know beer in kegs will last a long time because of the alcohol and stuff. How long will a keg of tap water (well water actually) last if its sitting in a corny with pressure on it. This would be stored at room temperature as well. My theory was to get him the setup and a carbonator cap and just have him fill a 2 liter bottle via the carbonator and chill that, then he doesn't need a kegerator.

If bacteria is a problem is there some sort of solution that can be added like salt and sodium bicarbonate or something that won't drastically change the flavor but will increase the life span?

I'd just clean everything well before kegging. With no O2, there shouldn't be anything to spoil the water.

Carbonated water is fairly acidic and I've gone months without cleaning my soda water kegs. But if he can't chill the cornie, there really isn't any point in using one. He would still have to re-pressurize while the water chilled. I'd just get a couple carbonator caps. If he has two 2L/3L bottles, he can be drinking from one and carbonating the other. He just needs to remember to re-pressurize the working bottle every time he pours so out.

Maybe a #5 bottle would be a better idea, as it would be small enough to sit in most refrigerators. Then he could have a two-way splitter and just snap the connector back on when he puts the bottle back in the fridge.

I have a #5 bottle and get about 50 gallons of soda water per filling.

Back