Carbonara

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniele96

Reaction score
Guanciale, eggs, pecorino and spaghetti are the ingredients of the, probably, second most famous Italian dish.
images-1.jpeg

Have you got a good recipe? I love carbonara and rarely get a chance to have any. I would love some direction on how to do this well!!

Have you got a good recipe? I love carbonara and rarely get a chance to have any. I would love some direction on how to do this well!!
It is necessary use 1 egg and 1 yolk per person (2 yolks and 1 white). You first put the yolks with pecorino cheese making a "salty eggnog" with pecorino, yolks and pever. Then you add the white. Put the eggnog in the fridge while you prepare the other things. Put guanciale cut into strips in a pan and when it has released the fat turn off the heat. For pasta use a pot: when water boil add salt and pasta. Let pasta cook and when it is ready take 3 spoons of pasta water and add them to the guanciale. Now add pasta and "salty eggnog" to guanciale mashing it to create a creamy egg and guanciale sauce.

I absolutely love this dish. It's one of my favorites. I was in italy a few months ago and we were taken to a nice restaurant. I immideately ordered the carbonara. It was the best carbonara I've ever had in my entire life. They had this parmesan wheel which was hollowed out, tossed my precious pasta in there and lit the pasta on fire! The sort of "scrambeled" it inside the wheel to get the cheese and served it immideately on a plate. It was stellar. The taste, I've never had actual pasta (flour, egg, water) taste that good before.

I absolutely love this dish. It's one of my favorites. I was in italy a few months ago and we were taken to a nice restaurant. I immideately ordered the carbonara. It was the best carbonara I've ever had in my entire life. They had this parmesan wheel which was hollowed out, tossed my precious pasta in there and lit the pasta on fire! The sort of "scrambeled" it inside the wheel to get the cheese and served it immideately on a plate. It was stellar. The taste, I've never had actual pasta (flour, egg, water) taste that good before.
The cheese used is pecorino Romano not parmesan

If you had parmesan was the "papalina" which is a "carbonara" without guanciale and pecorino prepared with prosciutto and parmesan (it was invented for Pope Pio XII)

If you had parmesan was the "papalina" which is a "carbonara" without guanciale and pecorino prepared with prosciutto and parmesan (it was invented for Pope Pio XII)

I didn't know they used pecorino in carbonara. I've always had them with Parmegiano Reggiano.

Aha! Nice to know, thanks. I was in Reggio Emilia, the home region of parmegiano reggiano, parma-ham and pasta bolognese.
In Emilia-Romagna they make also the best lasagna in Italy, a lot of salami and a particular type of vinegar (aceto balsamico di Modena) which can be aged for more than 100 years.

In Emilia-Romagna they make also the best lasagna in Italy, a lot of salami and a particular type of vinegar (aceto balsamico di Modena) which can be aged for more than 100 years.

We got some parmesan with that balsamico as starters. It was outstanding.

We got some parmesan with that balsamico as starters. It was outstanding.
In Italy Balsamico is very popular. Unfortunately the 90% of people know only the balsamic vinegar of supermarket or the "glassa" which is a bad imitation of the aged vinegar. Once a friend of mine who produce balsamic vinegar gave me as a Christmas gift a little bottle of balsamic vinegar taken from a barrique of one of his anchestors. He said me the vinegar was 500 years old (it is like natural yeast for breed or pizza and it is necessary you add some new grapes must every year). A vinegar like that is sold for thousands of euros and is the luxury "glassa" for a very little part of population

Last edited:
Back