Carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There may be a little confusion after you bottle your beer as to how to store while your beer is carbinating. I have always been told to store my bottles in a cool (50 to 60°f) dark place for at least 2 weeks before testing. Can we talk alittle about what is the best action. I believe someone gave a friend some bad information.

When I bottle, I've always done two weeks for carbonation, and then two weeks for conditioning.

The beers were usually always carbed by the end of the first two week cycle, but the additional two weeks typically refined the flavor and carbonation just a bit more.

I also usually stored them in a closed cardboard box afterwards in the cellar, probably around 60-65 degrees.

In order for a beer to develop carbonation in 2 weeks, the yeast needs to eat the priming sugar. This will happen quickly at higher temperature: 68-72F. My beers are always carbonated at day 7. Once carbonated, you should move them to a cooler place.

I have always been told to store my bottles in a cool (50 to 60°f) dark place for at least 2 weeks before testing.

If this is the temp while carbing up, it would take a really long time. 70F or a little higher works well for developing carbonation. One winter I used a closet that was about 65F - they took 5 - 6 weeks to carb up.

Room temp, out of direct sunlight, test one in 7 days and go from there

If at 50 degrees they may never carbonate depending on the yeast. Many ale yeasts will go dormant at that temperature. The most common temperature that I have seen quoted is close to 70 degrees.

I have tested at 1, 2 and 3 weeks. At 1 week, sometimes they are carbonated. At 2 weeks, most are carbonated. At 3 weeks, almost all of them are carbonated, and ALL of them have tasted better. Some big beers like my Russian Imperial Stout took much longer than that. A couple took 6 months or longer to reach their full potential.

Back