Carb Warm, Then Cool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyberMonk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been searching around and haven't found anyone asking this specific question. My wedding's a year off and I'm already planning to have 20 gallons of home brew (in 4 corny kegs) available, half "his" and half "hers"--probably an IPA and a Hefe or a Wheat Ale.

Anywho, while I have the 4 kegs, I only have room for two at a time in my kegerator. I'll normally throw beer from secondary into a keg and have it ready to hook up, uncarbed, whenever a tap goes, and then boost carb it in place. However, for the wedding, I'll need to have all four kegs carbed up ahead of time.

I understand I can carbonate at room temperature using a higher pressure. So my question is: if I carbonate my kegs at room temp, transport them to the site, and then cool them down in an ice-filled container, will they serve normally or will this do weird things to the beer?

Thanks much for the help!

P.S. For serving I'm planning to build some sort of trash can portable dispenser as seen elsewhere on this forum.

Hi

You can indeed carb at higher temps and then cool. You will need to adjust your pressure higher to get a proper carb.

One thing to consider - beer spoils faster at higher temperature. Also some yeasts really don't like warmer temps. I'd sure see if you can score a $50 Craig's List fridge or freezer to cool things down in...

Bob

Back