Carb time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ijp11

Reaction score
New to kegging, ablut how long will it take to carbonate 5 gal in a corny keg set to 15 psi.
The northern brewer regulator wont hold pressure so i have to adjust it often.
Thanks

Depends on temp, target volumes of CO2, etc. and I'm sure there are formulas to figure it out, but I'd say a good 3-4 days to get to a good drinking beer and a couple more to get to max carbonation. Just a ballpark estimate.

I usually set my regulator to about 20-25psi for the first two days, then back off to 12 psi. Its very drinkable after the first 2 days.

John

It depends on pressure and temperature to get the amount of carbonation desired. I serve at 11 so 4 psi more is not much. It will have carbonation early, but I find it will take about 2 weeks to get just right.

Here is a chart to obtain your level of carbonation:
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I have done 30 psi over night and lowered the pressure in the evening the next day. It was carbonated and drinkable, it takes a couple more days to stabilize.

A little over two weeks...

forcecarbillustrated.gif

Cheers!

Like I said, formulas to figure it out! I can't usually wait more than a couple days before tapping it and it's usually good enough for me.

Are you sure it's the regulator and not a faulty connection somewhere? I know from experience that getting your system dialed in with no leaks anywhere takes work. Have you fully tested your system to make sure there are no leaks anywhere? Forgive me if you've already tried it, but using a spray bottle with Starsan on EVERY possible leak location might take the blame off the regulator. Was the regulator purchased new or used?

Are you sure it's the regulator and not a faulty connection somewhere? I know from experience that getting your system dialed in with no leaks anywhere takes work. Have you fully tested your system to make sure there are no leaks anywhere? Forgive me if you've already tried it, but using a spray bottle with Starsan on EVERY possible leak location might take the blame off the regulator. Was the regulator purchased new or used?

Regulator was new but it came with keg, looked up problem and it seems these ones are mostly lemons, they just have problems holding pressure, drops about .9 ever 1.5 hrs.

Back